macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Daybreak
    MiniMoog Select in Logic 9
    Hey Everyone, I'm new here, and I know how annoying it can be when people make multiple posts regarding a topic, but I just can't seem to find the answers to my question even after watching the MIDI 101 tutorial. I recently purchased a MiniMoog Voyager select series along with a simple hosa midi to usb interface. Up until recently, I couldn't even get the Voyager to show up in Logic until I purchased the Voyager 3.5 librarian editor. When I hook the synth up while running Logic I have tried creating both an external midi instrument and a software instrument track. When I play the notes with only the output port going into my DAW the notes show up just as they should be, but no matter how much reading i've done I can't get any of my synths actual sounds to be produced and recorded into Logic. I keep seeing people say I have to play it back with the input port connected to make the sounds but I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone either give me a walk through on what i'm doing wrong or point me to the right thread? I would very much appreciate it and thanks in advance! Luke
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: MiniMoog Select in Logic 9
    First of all, thanks for watching the MIDI 101 tutorial! As I explained in the tut, MIDI cables don't carry audio signals. So in order to get audio into Logic to record it you'll need to connect its audio cables into your: - audio interface (if you have one), or... - the audio inputs to your Mac As far as getting MIDI to and from the Moog, you have a couple of choices on how to do that. Let's take the most straight-forward approach first... Quit Logic. Then, plug in your Hosa interface and then open the AudioMIDI Setup utility ("AMS"). Do you see a representation of it there? If so, then you next need to create a "new device" in AMS. Label it "Moog" or whatever you want. Drag a cable from the representation of the MIDI output on "Moog" to the MIDI input on the interface. Do the same from the interface back to the Moog. Now relaunch Logic and create an external MIDI track. You should now see "Moog" show up as a choice. At this point you'll want to turn Local Off in the Moog to prevent the doubled-note situation I talked about in one of the Sequencing tutorials. Of course, the Moog only generates one note (if I'm not mistaken) but it will still cause you problems if Local isn't turned off in the Moog. Finally, you need to connect the audio outputs of the Moog per what I wrote above. If any of that doesn't work, isn't clear, or you're having problems with any of it at all, please post back and we'll try and get you sorted out. Regards, Peter Schwartz (Ski)
  • Daybreak
    It's funny, I work on this for a couple days with no success (besides numerous hanging note errors) and little to no sound. For some reason I was able to use my m-audio oxgen keyboard as the actual midi controller source to eliminate most of the errors and i'm actually getting all of my moog sounds now when I record the signal through it's input!! Thank you for your post and the tutorial it was very helpful, and I really appreciate your time! Luke
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi Luke, Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it all working! And, well, how should I say it... thanks for being a MIDI Demystified customer! Regards, Peter
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: