macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bavyxoo
    speeding up audio
    Hi Guys I'm trying to speed up a track by about 6 MM I was told by a friend that Waves Soundshifter is the way to go. Unfortunately Logic doesn't support this plugin. Anybody know of the best way to do this? I've used the function in Logic, though there are a lot of subtle distortions that come through. Thanks Dan
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: speeding up audio
    Hi Dan, Excuse my ignorance, but what unit of measurement is MM? What kind of material is it that you're trying to speed up? Also, which if the algorithms have you used in Logic to do this? Have you tried using flex time on the track? Thanks R
  • Bavyxoo
    HI Rounik MM is metronome marking. So I'd like to go from 132 to 138 The tracks are all audio, not midi. There are about 20 of them in total. I was not given an option to try a different set of algorithms. Perhaps therein lies the key? I haven't tried flex time, only the variespeed function on my transport bar. Thanks! Dan
  • Bavyxoo
    oh, and the tracks are guitars, upright bass, piano, some drums and violin...
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh I see. Don't use Varispeed! It's designed to be more a "preview" mode for a whole project rather than anything better IMHO. There's many ways to change the tempo of an audio file in Logic. You could turn the audio regions into Apple Loops or... Try this: - Change the tempo of the project to the desired tempo (e.g. audio and project was at 130, change project tempo to 138) - Backup the original file (in the Audio Bin, select the file and choose Audio File > Backup File(s) - Select the region you want to process and In the Arrange area's local menu choose Audio > Time Stretch Algorithm - choose an algorithm (start with Universal) - Option-drag the lower right corner to time stretch the region to fit to the new tempo. You can undo these changes and try the different algorithms - but remember this time stretching process is destructive so do backup your files first. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Bavyxoo
    Thanks Rounik! That worked, though I'm still curious as to whether there's an external plugin that'll do the trick with a higher resolution. It's still a little grainy on various algorithms. I'll let you know if I come across another plugin. All the best Dan
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh yes! There are certainly better time stretching plugins / apps out there. For example, Melodyne and iZotope Radius (which can be used in Logic) are all better... but you'll find that it depends on the material you're trying to stretch/compress. Stretching means that the app will need to create material that doesn't technically exist - so you may get artefacts. Some plugins are better than others - there are plenty around to choose from. See if you can get hold of demos and try them out. Cheers R
  • Bavyxoo
    Thanks for the tips, Rounik! I'll definitely check out those plugins. I'm actually trying to compress, so I think it might be less difficult that stretching. That said it ends up sounding like a warbly VHS tape which is pretty damn cool! Best Dan
  • Rounik Admin
    Remember to try the different algorithms available. Also, might be worth trying out Flex Mode and seeing if that works any better. Another option is to convert the audio loop / performance into an Apple Loop... And have you experimented with Flex Time? I'd highly recommend checking out SteveH's tutorial on Flex Time - there's a lot more to this feature than meets the eye! [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9104[/url] :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: