macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Curobee
    Detecting bpm in logic for audio files.
    Hi, Can someone pls tell me how can I get a bpm on a song in logic? I usually use my dj software (serato), when I'm building overview of my tracks to get bpm. But I have few tracks that I do believe the software assingn wrong bpm. Anyone?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Detecting bpm in logic for audio files.
    Hi King Solo, There's quite a few ways. The simplest is to select the audio region in the Arrange area and choose: Audio > Detect Tempo The resulting window shows you the aprox. (sometimes it's off by a certain amount) tempo of the region. Another way, if the audio region is a standard tempo all the way through the entire track, is to estimate the tempo by using the metronome (click track) and adjusting Logic's tempo to get an aprox tempo. Next, find an easy part of the track and cut it into exactly a 4 bar region. (You'll need to zoom in and loop it to see if it is an exact 4 bar loop). Copy this to another track and place its start exactly on Bar 5 for example. Set the cycle locators to be exactly 4 bars according to Logic's grid (i.e. Bar 5 to Bar 9). Now choose Options > Tempo > Adjust Tempo Using Region Length and Locators Hope this helps Rounik
  • MorryNYC
    Wow. Didn't even know the "detect tempo" command was there. Now I have to get some mystery audio file to test it...
  • Rounik Admin
    Yeah - I think was newly introduced in Logic 9... There's also a useful function under: Options > Tempo > Import Tempo Information from Audio File Really cool if the tempo is embedded in the file. :) p.s. Don't forget the BPM Counter effect Plug-In too ;-)
  • MorryNYC
    Okay, now my brain is melting. Didn't know that existed either.
  • Curobee
    Thanks Rounik. First Option i couldn't find "detect tempo" after i go to Option > Audio....
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi King Solo, The first function (Detect Tempo) is not in Option > Audio... It's in the Arrange area's local menu: Audio > Cheers :)
  • Curobee
    hahahahhaha Thanks Rounik i got it, the only thing is that i get different results (bpm) from each method, but it looks like the first one is the most accurate. Which one do you usually prefer or recommend?
  • Dekuruy
    Hi all, Steve H. goes into some of the many beat detection/beat mapping options in his tutorial Logic 304; Logic TNT 3; chapters 31 and 32. This method, I believe, can be used with any audio file, whether there is tempo information on it or not, or whether it was originally recorded with a click or not: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic304[/url] And also, another option not mentioned above that's good for tracks with varying tempos, from his Logic 201; Steve H's Logic Master Class; chapters 3, 4, and 7. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9201[/url] Being a little old school in this regard, I personally like to estimate the tempo by listening, and then apply a click to see how close I am. I then adjust accordingly, (it's interesting how many tempos wind up going out several decimal places, like 107.0652, for example) or beat map if the original performance wasn't recorded to a click. Using Rounik's suggestion of using the 'Detect Tempo' function will usually get you close, and then you can fine tune from there. However, take note that the above mentioned chapters from Logic 304 shows how logic can find transients and beat map automatically. Pretty cool!
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks for the links adam! @King Solo, I prefer the old school method I described towards the top of the thread... estimate a rough tempo and then use the: Options > Tempo > Adjust Tempo using Region Length and Locators :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: