macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Prokit Update
    Well, I've just updated to latest Prokit... all seems ok... will have to test it out over the weekend to get a sense of how it behaves. If you decide to update your OS, etc... do clone or at least backup your system so you have an alternative to work on. Also, I wouldn't recommend performing any updates mid-project or session. I sit in Ski's camp on this one! Best Rounik
  • MorryNYC
    Thanks, Ski and Rounik. You guys are great resources. Thanks for your input. M
  • MorryNYC
    Here's an example of something I experience with 10.6.6 that never happened with 10.5.8 With a fair amount of frequency, on startup, I'll get a white screen. Nothing else. If I let it hang out there long enough it will become the dreaded mac with question mark. I need to force shutdown, then start up again. Tonight I had two startup failures before I finally got the gray apple and spinner to show up and then start up the computer. Ever heard of that happening?
  • Peter Schwartz
    I've had that happen, but not on an OS as recent as the one you've got. Do you have another system disk (i.e., a bootable clone on a FW drive)? If so, reboot your computer and hold down OPT. You'll have to wait quite a while, but you will then see icons of each of your HD's that contain a bootable system. Select the one from your clone and then wait for it to boot. Alternatively, boot from your install disk. Whether you boot from the clone or the install disk, run Disk Utility on your internal HD. Do a "verify" and also repair permissions. Hopefully there won't be any errors to report. But if there are, you'll know something's up with the OS on your internal drive. To reboot from your internal HD again, go to System Prefs and select your internal HD as the boot drive. Then reboot and see what happens.
  • MorryNYC
    Oops. Should have mentioned that I've done that. Apologies. I just turned on the machine last night, and it happened again, so I was in mild panic mode when I asked the question, and left off that important detail. But my partner, who works on Macs all day long, every day in, day out, did that for me. We swapped out one of my other internal hard drives, booted from it, etc. And after the "fix" it still happens. And I try to remember to repair permissions every few weeks. So far, it eventually launches and everything is fine once it's up. And most of the time I just put it to sleep instead of shutting all the way down. But it is a little disconcerting when it doesn't start up first time. And this behavior never happened to me on any past Mac operating system...maybe a few times before system 10.0, so this is a totally new behavior after I moved to 10.6.6 I'm leaning toward moving to 10.6.7 to see if this fixes it. Of course, after backing up. I'll let you know and Rounik know how it goes. Thanks again for the support. best, M
  • Rounik Admin
    Have you tried the free utility called Onyx for Mac? I would also attempt to verify the disk (in Disk Utility) and even zap the PRam - although running the maintenance procedures in Onyx might help you to find out what's going on. Also, have you installed any Ram since purchasing the Mac? Best Rounik
  • MorryNYC
    I'm told that what we (he) did was zap the PRam, and run Disk Warrior. We also repaired permissions and verified the disk in disk utilities. I haven't tried Onyx. Yes, I installed more RAM when I got the machine. Can't remember what was in the original machine, but now I have 7GB RAM. The RAM was installed right after I got the machine, 4 or 5 years ago. Man, I got an old computer! Amazing it still runs.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: