macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: How do I convert a Giga Sample
    Hi James, Will investigate this further later on. Meanwhile, thanks for asking about my music. It's perfectly OK to ask. : - ) You can visit my website to hear examples of some of the things I do, at [url]http://www.peterschwartzmusic.com[/url] Cheers, Ski
  • james3625
    Hi Ski, I will check out your site this evening. Thanks for sharing. I think I will go to the Apple store in San Francisco and ask one of the Logic experts about converting giga files. When I bought my iMac several months ago I opted for one year of hands on learning at any of the Apple stores. I even met with one of the Logic teachers in Emeryville. But he had no idea how to convert the Giga files. You can listen to some of my music at: www.reverbnation.com/californiajazz www.youtube.com/tcabstudio cheers, james
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi James, Thanks for the links to your music! I spent some time this morning trying to get some Giga files into EXS (stuff that I hadn't installed yet, from files with .gig extensions) and I had no luck! :-( Curious to know which tutorial you were watching that discussed Giga translation to EXS. Regards, Peter
  • james3625
    Hi Peter, That's interesting. The tutorial is called: Logic 102 Exploring the EXS24 06. Converting Giga Sample Files (2:23) I wonder what going on. I sure would love to use the giga samples in Logic. I spent something like $2500 for the Orchestral Cube not to mention another $2500 for a special computer built just for the Giga Samples. Oh well... BTW I really like your music! Great stuff. cheers, james
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi James, First of all, thanks so much for your kind words about my music. I hope to have a chance to check out yours very soon! I just watched that tutorial and my procedure is the same. (There really is no other way, just mentioning that to confirm that David Dvorin's method is correct). Then I tried converting a different .gig file that I had on my system and everything worked as expected. Here's what I did with Logic already launched... 1) took the .gig file and put it into my user's sampler instruments folder: HD/users/me/library/application support/logic/sampler instruments 2) refreshed the EXS menu (just as described in the tutorial) 3) selected the file (which now appears in the menu). Logic chewed on it for a while and then presented the various individual EXS instruments which were extracted from the .gig file. In the sampler instruments folder I now see the original .gig file plus a newly created folder with a .bk extension. Inside that folder are all of the EXS instruments converted from the .gig file. Why didn't the first file I tried this out with work? Dunno... Doing some more tests right now to see if maybe that file was corrupt or something. Will post back in a little while with a result.
  • Peter Schwartz
    OK... just tried a few more things and I think I'm going to chalk up my first attempt (with the failed result) to the specific .gig file I tried being corrupted or otherwise bad. But as I mentioned in the post above, I was indeed able to get it to work as expected with a different .gig file. How many files have you tried this with (bracing myself in the event you say "all of them").
  • james3625
    Hi Peter, When I navigate to (HD/users/me/library/application support/logic/sampler instruments) there is nothing in the sampler instruments folder. So now I am wondering why I am not seeing any of the sounds that came with Logic that I am able to play with the EXS24. The problem is, once I navigate to the 'sampler instruments' folder and drag the giga files from the DVD the files become all grayed out after I move them. I went to the Apple store in downtown SF after work today and talked with the logic expert whose first name is Andrew. Andrew told me when a file is 'grayed out' it means that it is not being recognized. I have an appointment to meet with Andrew tomorrow at 4PM. He asked me to bring in the DVD with the .gig samples and we will go from there. Since I am trying convert .gig files from the Vienna Symphonic Library I am wondering if the problem has something unique to do with Vienna Symphonic Library itself. I have tried several different Vienna Library DVD's. Same result. I have another Giga DVD not from the Vienna Symphonic Library folks that I tried to locate in my studio thinking that I would see what happens if I put that DVD in. But I couldn't find it. The Vienna Symphonic Library that I have is the First Edition. Another puzzling point: when I look at the .gig on the Vienna Symphonic Library DVD I can see all the individual .gig files. But if I try and drag only one .gig file in to the 'sampler instruments folder window which, once again is completely empty, all of the .gig files from the DVD move together and are grayed out. I really appreciate the time you have spent on this issue with me. I'm certain you have bigger fish to fry. :) cheers, james
  • james3625
    Hi Peter, This would be a last ditch effort but...... Andrew from the Apple store told me that Logic or the iMac itself will recognize .wav files. I am wondering if there is a way to convert the .gig samples that I have in my Giga Studio PC in to .wav format? Then I could copy the .wav flies in to the EXS24? OK... it's time for my walk. :) cheers, james
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi James, I don't think Andrew quite understands the situation. Giga files (.gig) are bundles which contain both audio files (samples) as well as the Giga instruments (which are the equivalent of EXS instruments). So converting them to wav simply wouldn't work. The reason you're not seeing the instruments that come with Logic at the above-mentioned path is because they're located in yet another sampler instruments folder -- the one located in the main (root) sampler instruments folder. I'll explain... As you probably know, OSX is designed a multi-user operating system. This means that there's a main (root) folder system that contains all the usual stuff like applications, a library/application support folder of its own, etc. Then, each person ("user") working on that computer has an account. You probably have an admin account so you're the "big cheese" main user of the system with admin privileges. Evidence of this is your Home folder which contains a similar folder structure to the "main" folder structure and includes a library/application support folder of its own. Any files placed in the "main" library/application support folder are available to all users on the system. Files placed in the users/me/library/application support folder are available only to that user. I suggested putting your files in there to keep them separate from the "main" sampler instruments folder, just to keep things clean as you're working on this install. So, in summary, you're going to see Logic's stock, factory sampler instruments in: HD/Library/Application Support/etc... sampler instruments folder. And indeed, you could try putting your .gig files in that folder. But I don't think it's going to make a difference, as you're not able to see the .gig files in any other hue than grey, meaning that they're inaccessible. Funny that you can drag them onto your HD but that they turn grey. Not sure why that would be. If the DVD is Mac compatible (or native) then I don't see why you couldn't copy the files over. (Maybe Rounik, who's quite the Mac expert, could chime in on that. I'll ping him.) But short of seeing any success copying the files over, there's a program called CDXTRACT (http://cdxtract.com/) that will convert .gig files to EXS-24.
  • james3625
    Hi Peter, Thanks again for all the information. My guess is, that the Vienna Symphonic Library I have is not Mac compatible. It's the first edition. Old stuff. Like me. ha ha ha So I will move on to CDXTRACT try my luck. Yes....maybe Rounik will have the answer. I am dying to know if your Celtic Bride piece is a midi project or was recorded live in the studio. I just listened to it again and got chills. Amazing work Peter. If I never manage to get my giga samples converted for the EXS24, having met you and listen to your music has inspired me to reach for new heights in my own studio. cheers, james
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: