macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Weird Logic Behavior
    Hey y'all, Experienced some weird Logic behavior last night. I was working on 4 orchestral string parts, Bass, Cello, Viola, Violin, 4 separate exs24 instruments set up as a group (strings), with output set to a bus, so once I get the balance I want, I can control the volume of all of them to balance it out with the rest. I have a send on each of them to add a bit of 'verb, going to another bus. And I have the output of the strings in the arrange as a track, and I was automating some changes in volume. (I know, long set-up). Now for the strangeness. I was making changes at the very end of the piece, and I couldn't hear the difference. At the end, I wanted the strings to be more subtle, and the samples kind of swell, so I was taking them down fairly dramatically at the end, and I couldn't hear it. So I took them all the way out, i.e. pulled the automation node on the track all the way down, just to see. And yep, I could still hear them. I checked all my routing, thinking I must have something going somewhere, or I'd bounced the strings to a track and hid it and forgotten about it. Just to be sure, I muted the string output track. Nope, they muted, just as expected. But no matter what I did, they would not follow the track automation that I had set up. I also shut Logic down and repaired permissions, then restarted the computer, but when I opened Logic back up, it was exhibiting the same behavior. I'm not sure if this is what fixed it, but I did a "group clutch" and took them out of group mode, and shortly after that, everything was once again working as expected, and I was able to finish my edits. It also continued to work after I reactivated the group function. So not sure how likely it was that this was actually the reason things started working again. Any clues as to what happened here? Do I need to trash my preferences? Is this file corrupt? Recently installed Logic update 9.1.4, on Mac OS 10.6.7, 15GB RAM on a 2 x 2.66 Intel. Best, M
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Weird Logic Behavior
    Hey Morry Wonder if this is a bug to do with grouped tracks then... Is Logic running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? Don't trash pref's until you've figured out whether this is a global bug or project specific. Can you replicate this in another project? Thanks R
  • MorryNYC
    Rounik, So far haven't seen it in other projects. Logic is running in 64-bit. I'll keep you posted if it happens again. Has anyone else been having similar issues? Feel free to chime in here.
  • Peter Schwartz
    No, don't go trashing prefs just yet. My feeling is that you're hearing the reverb return. Is that a possibility? If possible, post a picture of your Environment mixer page showing all of the elements you mentioned in your post.
  • MorryNYC
    I thought of that. I must be learning something by visiting this forum! Thanks guys! But no, even with the reverb aux channel muted, I could still hear that the tracks were not getting quieter when the automation was supposed to be bringing them all the way out. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the routing, as like I said, everything started working again after I turned off groups and turned them back on again. And I've opened the project several times since I posted last, and things seem to be fine. But as I don't have your or Rounik's expertise, if you think it would be valuable, I can probably get a capture up for you to take a gander at. Though nothing is wrong now, and everything is working as expected.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Sounds like an automation bug/weirdness, but hard to say. At least it's working now. Curious... by any chance is your song start marker set to anything before bar 1 1 1 1 (e.g., 0 1 1 1 or -1 1 1 1)?
  • MorryNYC
    Start marker is set to 1 1 1 1. The first recorded material is at 2 1 1 1. Yes, it's working now, no problems at all, but I'll keep a lookout for it, and if it happens again, I'll see if I can be a bit more scientific (e.g. take notes, make captures at each phase of trying to fix it, only try one thing at a time, etc.), so maybe I can connect it to something instead of just trying everything in a panic, and then finding its working again, and only being able to vaguely connect it to turning groups off and on... Thanks for your help.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: