macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jideseo
    Re: Layering Synth Plugins
    Dear Ski, Sounds like a plan, BUT... what is 'automatic channel strip management' and where do I find it, please? I'll try to send you a project as soon as I've worked out how to do it. Best regards, Tim
  • Rounik Admin
    It's in your project settings > Audio > However, also make sure this global command is turned On: Preferences > Audio > Devices [Core Audio]: "Universal Track Mode" Cheers R
  • Jideseo
    Yup! 'Automatic channel Strip Management' and 'Universal Track Mode' are both 'On'. Best regards, Tim
  • Jideseo
    Dear Rounik, I just found something in the song you sent me. It seems that not only did you create a new MIDI instrument in the environment page by clicking on Instrument>New, but you also created an instrument in the Arrange page on its own channel strip! When I MOVED the MIDI object to the New Instrument channel Strip, all of the cabled faders fired. So the next questions are: Should this new instrument channel strip in the Arrange page appear automatically? (It doesn't in mine). Should it be done manually? If so, how? (I tried to replicate this but without result). Please note that this development, and the fact that the MIDI object must be moved to a new location are not in the tutorial. Anyway, a little light at least. Sadly (on another note) in your song, the highlighted channel strip in the Arrange page does not highlight in the mixer even though the 'link' icon is highlighted. (I thought it DID before. Am I losing it?!!!!) Also, in your song, COPIED series cabled faders won't fire but TRANSFERRED ones will. Are things getting better? I'm not sure. Ah well, it gives me the very minutest hint of pleasure that I'm not the only one suffering. Thanks for sharing this pain ~:-D Best regards, Tim
  • Peter Schwartz
    I'll try and answer some of your questions... New > Instrument This creates a MIDI instrument object in the environment. Unlike when you create a new instrument channel strip, it does not automatically get assigned to a track in the arrange page. Logic has always worked this way. There are numerous ways to assign this to a track. Here are three: 1) create a new MIDI track and select that instrument from the Library 2) create a new track of any kind, CNTRL-click on the track and reassign it to the MIDI instrument 3) drag the MIDI instrument from the Environment to the track column in the Arrange page When you assign a MIDI instrument to a track, the "channel strip" appearance will not be the same as a software instrument channel strip.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim! Ski has answered some questions already, but I wanted to add this: In order to try and replicate the issue you've been experiencing, I followed video 155, 156 and 157 of the Logic 101: Core Logic 9 precisely. I didn't create a new channel strip for the object. That is done automatically once I assigned the Instrument object to a track header - (check out video 157 on how to assign an environment object to a track header). ALL the information on how to create these objects and assign the object to it's own track in the Arrange ARE in the Logic 101 tutorial. Just follow each step and you should be fine. (Specifically you might like to double-check from video 156 (about 2 minutes onwards) and video 157. ____ As for your other issues: - Selecting track headers in the Arrange are will select the channel strip in the Environment. It's a one way street and won't work in the other direction. - Copied cabled objects don't work? Ouch. Works good here... but I have come across occasions whereby something goes amiss in the Environment... Wish the Apple Developers would give it some more love :) Thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    [i]Ah well, it gives me the very minutest hint of pleasure that I'm not the only one suffering. Thanks for sharing this pain ~:-D[/i] LOL! We try to share and share alike :)
  • Jideseo
    Ouch! How did I miss that in Tutorial 157? Thank you so much. I've got it working now, but still having a few bizarre intermittent issues: Sometimes, in the Environment page, I'll click on New>Instrument and get some funny, tiny object that won't cable to anything. Sometimes I can't move any objects on the Environment page, but quitting and relaunching usually fixes all that. The purple link facility seems to work and not work whenever it feels like it but sadly a lot more of the latter. Why is it so BUGGY? Is Protools any better? Thank you for you patience. Best regards, Tim
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, Glad you found the correct part of the video to follow. As for these bugs you mention... I can't replicate any of these. So, I'm not sure whether to call them "general bugs" as such or "system specific bugs". Pro Tools has it's own problems(!) - no piece of software is perfect. Having said that, the behaviour you're experiencing is not normal. I don't think you mentioned what version of OSX you're running? Thanks Rounik
  • Jideseo
    Dear Rounik, I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.7 On the subject of bugs, another mildly irritating problem which appeared when I was using logic 8 and has remained since (I'm now on Logic 9.1.4) often appears after working at the computer for a few hours and looks like this: If I highlight 'object B' in the piano roll and try to modify it in the event float, as I try to change a value, of 'object B', the highlighting jumps to the last previously altered object (object A) and modifies THAT instead! Nnnnnnnh! Quitting and relaunching often fixes it, but it would be nice to be free of it. Even more irritating, no one else including Apple have experienced anything similar. Any suggestions, even including exorcism, would be gratefully received ;-) Tim
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: