macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    CPU max-out & audio Popping
    I just installed EastWest Pianos and they're great but my system overloads. Will increasing the buffer size in Logic make a difference? I have a Mac Pro 8 core 2.26. I can actually see the cpu max out when I play. The memory and disk stream is doing fine. Is this a glitch in Logic? I'm Running Logic Pro 8. Rob
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: CPU max-out & audio Popping
    Yes, increasing buffer size might well make a difference. I've experienced this many times, when adding a new instrument plug to the arsenal, that it becomes necessary to increase the buffer size to get the new plug to play without glitching out the system. Where's your buffer set to at the moment?
  • Vivisuy
    I have my buffer set a 256. I tried setting it at 512 but it still poped and spiked. I actually got a semi crash and an error message that said, "problem syncing midi and audio". I seem to get alot of spikes when I use the sustain pedal. It doesn't seem to necessarily be when I have the voice count real high with the performance. Maybe I need to go to Logic 9? Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Rob, Do you have the latest update for the plugin? Also, are you on a G5 and OSX 10.4 as your profile states? If so, then purchasing a new Logic 9 retail version will not work on your system as it's Intel only. Logic 9.0.2 worked fine on PPC Macs (G5's) - but I believe the versions of Logic being shipped today are Logic 9.1 which is Intel only.
  • Vivisuy
    I'm running my new 2.26 X 8 core intel mac. I have the latest version of the Play plugin. I seem to have a problem when using the sustain pedal as it may bring in an aditional set of multisamples. That's the way I understand it anyway. I was impressed by the tutorial on the EASTWEST website. Maybe I use the pedal too much. I get pops when the cpu meter does a quick spike but not even to the redline, but just a quick increase in processing load. I wish I could figure out exactly what is causing these spikes. They seem to be random. It seems as though there is some cumulative wave of data that builds all at once and then Pow! Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rob, If you double-click on the CPU meter in the Transport display how many CPU meters do you see displayed? In Logic 9.1.4 you can set the number of processing threads and also run Logic in 64-bit mode which might help... Out of interest, how much ram do you have and how much free disk space on your system drive?
  • Peter Schwartz
    If your buffer is already set to 256 then that's already too large to play anything in time, I would think. Increasing your buffer size to 512 or even 1024 would make any instrument unplayable. To say that you're using too much pedal isn't likely the problem. It's not your playing, it's the plugin and/or something about your system. If you have to accommodate your playing style to the limits of your system then your choices, it would seem, are to make adjustments to the way things run on your computer (perhaps as Rounik has suggested using 64-bit mode, etc.) or using a less problematic plugin.
  • Vivisuy
    I've been playing with it for a while now and I still get cpu spikes that cause pops in the audio. I have 569 gb available on a 640 gb system drive. The eastwest samples are on the hard drive they supplied. (complete composer's collection drive = 1 tb). I have 6 gb of ram. When I load an EastWest Pianos master patch (the biggest) I still have 4 gb of ram inactive. The cpu spikes occur with heavy playing and seem to be random. They even occur with lighter playing and appear randomly. I have experienced this problem at 128 and 256 buffer sizes. The EW Piano master patches sound fantastic as they include up to 3 mic positions (I've only used 2) so they are really heavy duty, but then again my machine is heavy duty isn't it? Mac pro 8 core 2.26, 6 gb ram Logic Pro 8. I Have gone to other message boards as well and there seems to be a bunch of people with the same problem with EastWest Play sample libraries. Rounik, My Logic cpu meter only shows 8 cores although it looks to have room for 16. I am only getting 8 (actual core) threads as far as I know. On the activity monitor cpu usage window I show 16 slots but my system is using every other slot, for a total of 8 cores. When I play the EastWest pianos the cpu usage window shows minimal activity, even when popping occurs. the logic cpu meter goes into the red. How are these two different? Rob
  • Peter Schwartz
    If lots of other people are reporting similar problems with EW Play libraries then it's likely got nothing to do with how heavy duty (or not) your computer is. IMO that points to bad coding of the plugin. Really, there's no reason why sample playback should be so CPU intensive that it causes a powerful system to glitch. Suggest you contact EW and see what they have to say for themselves.
  • Vivisuy
    Yeah, That's what I'm thinking. The plugin will do just fine with some pretty heavy playing and then will just start getting unstable and start cpu spiking. It's like it wants to work but then the wheels come off. I'm going to open a support ticket with EWQL for sure. Thanks Rob
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: