macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kejedey
    Recording a 'live' mix
    Hi Guys, I've recently been playing around with my Tascam FW-1884 desk, using the mute buttons and encoders to do some fun 'live' mixes and dubs with a Reggae project, working with all tracks bounced to audio. Well, I and my friends can hear the results, but how to capture those mixes? Do I need an external recorder? How about a laptop with Logic Express? or a mini-disk (things I have access to)? Or are there better ways? Cheers! Pete
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Recording a 'live' mix
    Hi Pete, Sounds cool. Well, there are a number of ways to record the live mixing session. It depends on whether y1) ou want to record multiple tracks to their own audio files so you can process them separately and mix them later or 2) whether you want only the stereo output from the mixer recorded. If it's 1) then Logic Express on your laptop would do the job nicely. If it's 2) then go for convenience and use a mini-disc recorder or hard disk recorder - maybe even something portable like a Zoom H4n. :)
  • Kejedey
    Hi Rounik, So how would I do 1)? how to connect the laptop (my friends is a basic Macbook, one of the last with FW-400) - the desk has outs configured for surround, though I only connected to monitor in stereo - also it can act as a FW hub, I believe, having 2 FW-400 sockets. The desk is configurable, but I have never messed with that yet. Any thoughts on the subject appreciated Cheers! Pete
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Pete, It acts as both a control surface for Logic and an audio interface. AFAIK it'll work in Snow Leopard but only in 32-bit mode... You might need to test this out... But, yes, you can simply connect the unit to the MacBook via Firewire 400. DO make sure to download and install all the relevant drivers from the Tascam site. Other than that it should be a case of selecting it in the Audio / Devices in Logic's Preferences and you'll be good to go! :) Rounik
  • Kejedey
    Hi Rounik, Yes, the FW-1884 is good for Snow Leopard in 32bit. So, I get the Macbook hooked up to the Tascam desk by Firewire, driver installed, then I get ready to play my mix on my Macpro using the sliders, encoders, mute buttons etc - presumably I have a project set up to receive it on the notebook, then press record on the notebook and I'm away? I guess I'll have to mess about a bit to get it right :-D What will I be setting inputs to on the notebook? Cheers! Pete
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Pete, Once you've hooked up the 1884 to your Macbook and it's recognized by Logic then you simply need to create x number of audio tracks (to match the number of inputs being used on 1884. Set each of these audio track's inputs to match the inputs on the 1884 and record ready each track. Now when you hit "Record" in Logic and start mixing on the FW1884 you'll be recording your live mix into Logic on each of the separate tracks. Let me know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: