macProVideo.com
Forums
  • xXxKoPxXx
    File Management in Logic Pro 9
    I was following this article: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/file-management-mac-os-logic-9 but everytime I update the project file with the new date a new backlog folder gets created with the new date as well.... The first time I save a new project I save it with the audio file assets. Every new date save I don't save any assets... In the article the files are organized and I see no backlog folders... Thanks in advance for any help! :) :) :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: File Management in Logic Pro 9
    I think that's because none of the additional saves of the song were saved more than once. It's only when you save a song more than once (using the same name) that a backup folder is created. For example: [folder Song AAA].bak Song AAA.logic Song AAA_2.logic Song AAA_3.logic Song XXX.logic Song XXX_1.logic [folder Song XXX_2].bak Song XXX_2.logic Song XXX_3.logic Study the above carefully. Here, Song AAA and Song XXX_2 were saved under that name more than once. All others were only saved once.
  • xXxKoPxXx
    I guess I wont be able to NOT have a back log since I do save frrequently. Normally what I do is the first time I save on a new Date I "Save as" but I do save frequently after that using "command + S". Thanks!
  • Peter Schwartz
    Saving using "Save As..." and giving your songs descriptive names is a great way to work. That way you don't have to guess what each backed-up project is all about.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi xXxKoPxXx Thanks for posting this on the forums :) I see now that the problem is the "Project files Backup" folder and not the "audio files" or any other assets related folders being created. Well, Ski has hit the nail on the head as per usual. Best way is to save as... whenever you want to save to keep incremental versions or... Only save as... when you want a new 'version' of your project and manually delete the Project Backup folders after you've quit Logic. A hassle, but maybe worth it. This makes me wonder how Logic will handle "saving" once OSX Lion arrives. One of the features Apple seem to be pushing in Lion is that documents save themselves constantly. Wonder how that will affect Logic... Cheers Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Right, Rounik - was wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully there will a future Logic update with various options for this in preferences, ie. 'save projects automatically', or 'save projects manually'. I don't think us Logic users would want to relinquish too much control, after all!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Sure! Just have to wait and see what Logic X (?) will be like under the hood... if it affects performance during recording then it'll not be a welcome feature! However, something in the vein of Time Machine and 'never needing to save a document again' is definitely where Apple seem to be heading...
  • Peter Schwartz
    I can understand why "assets" folders aren't backed up in the .bak folders. Doing so would create a huge mess and eat up disk space unnecessarily. In fact, I recommend [i]never[/i] saving with assets unless you need to make your project "portable" (take your project data to another studio to work on). Here's my procedure: 1) when starting a new song, save with the assets checkbox ticked. This creates an Audio Files folder within the project folder, but not a Bounces folder. 2) when saving the song again, whether it's under a new name or the same name, assets = unticked. 3) when bouncing, you have the option to manually create a Bounce folder in the file selector and save your bounces in there, or, not. Bounces don't have to live in a "Bounces" folder, but it is a convenience. That's all there is to it. The result: all assets which are unique to the project live in the project folder (audio files, bounces). All assets which are not unique to the project (and which already live on your system hard drive such as factory EXS-24 and UB samples, impulse responses) remain in their original locations.
  • Rounik Admin
    +1 with what Ski said re: assets folders. Just for the headsup Ski this discussion started in the comments section of this Hub article: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/file-management-mac-os-logic-9[/url] (where I had assumed the problem was not to do with the backup folder but the various assets folders). :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: