macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Togugei
    Any IK ARC users?
    Hey guys, Can anyone help me out with my ARC system setup? I read with great interest Victor's article: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/audio-plug-in/handson-review-arc-system-audio-room-correction-ik-multimedia[/url] Basically I'd like to take a full compliment of measurements, can anyone help with suggestions on exactly where to take them? I'm not good at this kind of practical stuff due to visual difficulties. I won't be doing these measurements myself, but it would be nice to give my friend some precise instructions on what to do. Also, are there any potential stumbling blocks to look out for - feedback etc. If it helps, I use an Apogee Duet audio interface with Genelec 8030A monitors. Regards Richie
  • Rohogay
    Re: Any IK ARC users?
    Hello Richie, I'll be happy to try and give you some pointers. Triangulate your monitors equally from each other and from you. PERFECTLY using a measuring tape or laser. Then move on. You can take as many "groups" of measurements as you wish. Simply put, you can do more then one and name it accordingly so you can choose from the drop down menu. Just remember, with all the effort in doing this, you might as well put in the pain and time once, up front, then it's done at your best. I did two sets of measurements, 32 each or the maximum samples and when finished, the curve was ever so slightly different but I chose the one I thought was best or most balanced. I deleted the unused test from my library preferences. Since you will need your work station, "mixing position" done first, use the diagrams I have put in the article for starts. I did the one chair studio but project studio might be better? I have a larger monitor and they are spaced farther away etc. Sit in your chair, Let your tape Measure fall from your ear to the ground. That is exactly where you want your mic tip to be. I had to be carful to not angle the mic as I moved it around. That was the one area I had to be carful of. I used the width and depth of my chair for the center area when starting the first cluster. So your #1 position will be dead center of where you sit. Using the dimensions of your chair, you can measure equally from the 1st measurement to #s 2, 3, 4. and 5. Keep using the equal distance idea for the remaining measurements. If you do these measurements in advance, you can use some tape with a digit for the reference. Then you can simply place the mic where you have the tape. Going beyond the first 14 means assessing the remaining area. Try to consider your 1st position in reference to the remaining measurements and keep them equal if possible. Use an X pattern. left front, right front, left rear, right rear etc. Always do a left to right in the opposite position. Shut off any air conditioner, fans or heaters. Keep the room quiet. BREATH quiet. If you mess up a test, go back and redo that one measurement again, no problem. Find a place you can stand out of the way ate you hit the mouse to start the measurements. Set the level at the outset with the your amp set half way, preamp in the normal position and let the program have some headroom when turning up the level. Its ideal to have everything as centered as possible Bypass all EQs Let me know how it turns out.
  • Rounik Admin
    Nice tips Victor!
  • Togugei
    Thank you, Mojave. I appreciate your help. So the main thing to consider once the initial 14 measurements are done is to make sure any extra ones are symmetrical? I always wondered, are measurements 1 and 14 considered a pair? Any advice on how close to the monitors you should get? Not being one who does any live recording, I don't have much experience with mics. Thanks again, I'll start working on a measurement plan today.
  • Rohogay
    I supose yes on the pairs question. Do not worry about distance from the mic to the monitor, the software is "listening" to the results. Be sure your positioned correctly with respect to you listening placement to the monitors. That is all that matters.
  • Togugei
    Thank you, Mojave. I think I'll be good to go now.
  • Rohogay
    Certainly, MPV is the best support forum around!
  • Togugei
    It sure is! Oh and please accept my apologies, your name clearly isn't Mojave. :-) So let me say thank you, Victor for all your help.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: