macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pog
    Space designer crashing logic, please help...
    Hi guys, im relatively new to this online posting lark so bear with me:) For some reason, my Mac has decided to flake out and beach ball whenever I change a patch on space designer. I bought the mac in Jan of this year and had teething problems with is since but recently its been unusable:/ Currently I'm running OS X 10.6.7 on an iMac 27" i5 2.8GHz with 4gig of ram so I can't see it being a hardware issue. My Logic version is 8.0.2 Anyone come across a problem like this? I'm wonderin if there is a compatability issue with logic (an older to current version) and Snow Leopard. Would appreciate any advise going. Cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Space designer crashing logic, please help...
    Hi Pog, Welcome to the macProVideo forums!! Unfortunately, Logic 8.0.2 isn't "officially" supported under Snow Leopard. However, I've not come across this issue from others who run 8.x on 10.6.7. How much free space do you have on your system drive? Can I suggest the following: - Create a new empty project (not from a template) and try to replicate the issue. - Repair Permissions: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] Let me know if this helps at all. Rounik
  • Peter Schwartz
    Rounik, Can you explain a bit about what you mean about 8.0.2 not being supported on S/Leopard? Do you mean "not officially compatible" or something else? Reason I'm asking is because I just so happened to speak with an Apple salesperson today who insisted that 8.0.2 runs fine on Snow Leopard. I'm more tempted to believe you than him, but if you could point me to some documentation about this I'd be most grateful (as my decision to buy a new computer kind of hangs in the balance!) So all the pressure's on you now. Sorry, but that's the way things have to be for now... LOL! Pog, FWIW, hardware specs don't have anything bearing on whether or not you have a hardware problem. Sometimes wonky behavior can occur due to a bad motherboard or logic board. I'm not saying that's your problem, but just wanted to point out that you can't rule out hardware just because it has good specs. Let's hope it's just a software issue!
  • redlogic
    I don't know if it's "officially supported" or "not officially compatible", but Logic Pro 9.1.4, 8.0.2 and 7.2.3 all work fine here on OS 10.6.7 Intel.
  • Pog
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for the reply, as far as i can remember it is on any project new, template or otherwise but i will double check that later on. As far as free space goes i have well over 700gig available. Cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    As for Logic 7.2.3 and 8.0.2 on OS X 10.6.7 - I haven;t tried this combination personally. I did read reports a long time back about 8.0.2 on earlier versions of 10.6.x and there being issues related to the Environment, closing projects, etc. However, if these have been fixed then that's great. Yes, I meant, 8.0.2 is not "officially" compatible - and therefore not "officially" supported under Snow Leopard. I've come across many users that have this configuration and they run it fine. @Ski, as for a new Mac Pro.... wait!! The Mac Pro is due for a refresh and the new high end iMac with an SSD drive certainly out performs the current range of Quad and Octo cores. I'm sure this will change once the Sandy bridge processors are included in the new Mac Pro's. Word on the street *hush* is that the new line of Mac Minis, MacBook Airs and Mac Pro's will be released once OSX Lion is available. Whether that'll lead to an immediately stable Pro Logic system remains to be seen... Ski... perhaps you can test this for us all ;-P @ Pog - have you tried running the repair permissions procedure? Let me know. Thanks R
  • Pog
    I have taken a different route, bit long winded but a reinstall was in order.. maybe due to various *ahem* post purchase plugins that arnt functioning right, I cant say for definite that it is that as they worked fine on my last system, but I just want to rule that out of the equation Then once that is done if it still isnt right, logic 9 time :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Pog, I don;t understand if you've already done the re-install or not? If not there are other troubleshooting techniques you can do first: 1. Trash Prefs: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/trash-talk-guide-reset-logics-preference-files[/url] 2. If you think the problem is connected to a 3rd party plugin then try removing all plugins from the System drive and User folder folders as follows: Library/Audio/Plug Ins/Components/ Then re-launch Logic and see if the problem persists. If not, then quit Logic and add a plugin back in to the components folder one at a time to find the offending culprit. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Pog
    Hi Rounik, So far ive re-installed osx from fresh, and logic, updated to the max. Still experiencing the same glitchs, Then trashed the prefs as the highly informative guide suggests, still the same :/ Its not present all the time, if I stop playback while skipping patches its doesnt do it all the time, but still the majority of the time. little bit lost now.
  • Rounik Admin
    Sorry to hear this! You may not like me for suggesting it, but I would delete and then re-install Logic up to 9.1.3 (not the 9.1.4 update) and see if that helps. Alternatively, first try creating a new user account in OSX System Preferences > Accounts Log-out of your existing account and then into the new account and try running Logic. Can you replicate the crashing issue? Also, what hardware and associated drivers do you have connected to your Mac? I'm unsure as to when this began happening? After an update or installation of some kind? Finally, how did you re-install OSX? Did you do a clean install or over the top of your existing copy? Thanks R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: