macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Weird Digidesign Hardware Issue
    I'm teaching my guitar teacher, a somewhat elderly jazz guitarist, how to use Logic to record. He had an older version of Pro Tools, and I convinced him to move to Logic, partly because I think it's easier than Pro Tools, and partly because I know Logic so much better than I know Pro Tools. But because he started in Pro Tools, he has an Mbox. (I have a digi 002) so we kept the interface and just ran Logic (version 8.0.2) through the digidesign hardware. Everything was working fine, until Tuesday, and all of a sudden nothing seemed to work. I didn't get a chance to check it out until today, but this is what is happening: Logic has no output. You can see that there's sound, as the meters are moving, but you can't hear it through the Mbox. If you change the input and output to the computer itself, then you hear the tracks as expected. But, if you plug a guitar into input 1 of the Mbox, the guitar is hot. You can hear it, whether any track is record-enabled or not. Additionally, if you quit Logic entirely, the guitar remains active. The guitar will still sound through headphones plugged into the Mbox. In fact, if you RESTART THE COMPUTER, and do not start Logic, the guitar will still sound through the headphones. To be clear, if you repair permissions, trash Logic preferences, and THEN restart the computer, before Logic is even booted up, you will hear the guitar through the headphones of the Mbox. If you do record enable a track, and then hit record, it does record. I was able to record a test track (but of course could not hear the click), and I could see the waveform. And of course, then I couldn't play back the track I just recorded, as it's the guitar, and not Logic, that is coming through the headphones. I think it must be the Mbox itself that's fritzing out. I brought the unit home with me (where I also have a digidesign interface), and I was able to replicate the same behavior. I was thinking it could be an outdated driver for the digidesign hardware, but if that were the case, wouldn't my digidesign hardware be doing the same thing? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. best wishes, M
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Weird Digidesign Hardware Issue
    Hi Mory, Definitely check that you've got the latest drivers for the Mbox. There should be different drivers for the Mbox and the 002. You can find the drivers direct on the Avid site. Sounds like a monitoring issue on the Mbox too. Don't have one to test out - but check to see all settings are correct. Cheers Rounik
  • MorryNYC
    Thanks, Rounik I was doing some exploring on the (ex)-digidesign (i.e. Avid)'s website, and I found some interesting stuff. It appears that the last version of the digidesign core audio to be certified to work with 10.5.8 and his Mbox (the original first release) is 7.4.2. My teacher has version 8. I find it strange that it would work fine for so long (2 years) and all of a sudden it would stop working. Is that odd? That seems odd to me. My teacher also told me today that a clumsy friend of his ended up knocking the unit to the ground not once, but twice, one afternoon recently. I'm thinking, could be some damage there. I only meet with my teacher for his logic lessons on Fridays, so will be a while before I have a chance to check things out. As usual, thanks for your input. best wishes, M
  • Peter Schwartz
    Y'know, dropping things (or kicking or hitting them) is usually supposed to fix stuff LOL!
  • MorryNYC
    I thought that really only worked if you hurled it out a window a few floors up...
  • Rounik Admin
    ... Oh! That was you!?!? *&^&*£* I wondered where that Mbox had come from... ;-)
  • MorryNYC
    Yep, that was me. oops. M
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: