macProVideo.com
Forums
  • msandm
    Logic Pro Aggregate Audio Device
    Hi, I have recently purchased a Lynx Aurora 16 and an Aurora 8. I am trying to link these together to create the 24 channels I need to use in Logic 9. I can create an aggregate device simply enough by selecting both the Cards in the Audio/Midi Setup but when the Aggregate device is selected in logic it will only play as though one is connected. When I select them individually (not as aggregate) they work fine, so they're definitely hooked up correctly. Can anyone help? Thanks, Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Logic Pro Aggregate Audio Device
    Do the Lynx units provide any way of connecting multiple devices so that they act as a single unit without having to resort to creating an aggregate device in AMS? (Suggest checking the documentation. If they support this kind of setup then it would be preferable to setting up an aggregate device).
  • msandm
    As far as I'm aware this is the only way I've heard of for creating one in the AMS.... I've heard there are issues with doing this...
  • Rounik Admin
    When you say "when aggregate device is selected they'll only play as though one is selected" do you mean that you only have access to one of the interfaces inputs and outputs? In AMS how many Ins and Outs are recognized for the aggregate device? Thanks Rounik
  • msandm
    Hey there, I think I worked it out. I've just realised that the 2nd Aurora shows up as channels 33-64 in Logic, (I assume because there's 16 analog and 16 Digital on each card). I think I'm I've just had trouble getting my head around the fact that it is more based on the Cards within the computer with the auroras running through them as opposed to a 16 channel and an 8 channel interface which every other one I've ever had has been. Is this correct? If so, is there any way of making it so it only shows up the analog channels? Thanks , Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    That sounds about right. The numbering isn't always going to be sequential. I'm just surprised that Lynx hasn't provided a way to aggregate multiple units of their own brand so that they act as a single device. But hey, you got it working, so that's the main thing. BTW, are you planning on recording live inputs from more than just one of the units?
  • msandm
    Yes it seems strange, I could be wrong but as far as I've been able to find out Aggregate device is the only way. I am planning on being able to record 24 channels at once...Is this a problem? Damian...
  • Peter Schwartz
    Yes, potentially there is a problem, and that is that the hardware+driver latency will be different between the two units. I'd suggest doing a loopback test where you play a percussive audio track out of Logic and Y it to one input on device #1 and one input on device #2. Record the audio on two different tracks (one set to each input). Then... Mute the original track. On one of the loop back tracks, put a gain plug on it and set it to be out of phase. Play back both loop back tracks. If they don't cancel perfectly (resulting in or very very near perfect silence) then you have a problem -- which I can help you resolve. But I'd start by doing that test.
  • msandm
    Interesting. I gave it a try. I couldn't do it exactly as you said because I don't have a Y cable. So here's what I did. I Put 2 of the exact same audio file on tracks 1 and 2 in logic the I sent (through my mixing desk) track 1 to track 3 and Track 2 to track 17 (track one on the Aurora 8). When I muted the original and reversed the phase of one of the tracks, it did reduce the volume considerably but not completely. Is this what I'm looking for....or does the fact that I couldn't send 2 signals from the one source affect the result?
  • Peter Schwartz
    Your form of "Y" is just fine. One thing... are you working with a digital or analog desk?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: