macProVideo.com
Forums
  • msandm
    Re: Logic Pro Aggregate Audio Device
    I'm using an analog Desk. Attached are 2 screen shots of the 2 newly recorded files. The first one zoomed a bit and the 2nd zoomed right down to the samples. There doesn't appear to be any latency...Although the wave forms appear to be slightly different. Maybe being an old analog desk there are slight difference between channels. [img]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/DamianPClarkson/Screenshot2011-06-20at45752PM.png[/img][img]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/DamianPClarkson/Screenshot2011-06-20at50320PM.png[/img]
  • Peter Schwartz
    For some reason your pictures aren't showing up. But my feeling is that the difference is likely due to exactly what you said. As long as there's no apparent offset between the two looped-back tracks you should be totally fine. If there was even one sample difference I'd be concerned about tracking any stereo signal between the last input of unit #1 and the first input of unit #2. Now of course, under normal circumstances Logic doesn't give you the choice of selecting inputs for a stereo channel that aren't odd/even pairs (i.e., you can select inputs 1/2 on a channel but not 1/3). Still, if you were in a situation where you had to work that way, you could record to two mono tracks set to the necessary inputs.
  • msandm
    Cool. Thanks for that, you've been a major help. One last problem I seem to be having is getting them to stick at a sample rate other than 44.1 Khz... Every time I click 96Khz it always jumps back to 44.1... Any thoughts? Thanks, Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    I love this topic in general, and glad to help you out. As far as the 44.1 situation, I take it that you're selecting 96K in Logic? If not, where are you making this selection?
  • msandm
    I'm selecting it in the Lynx Software mixer. I wasn't even aware you could select it in Logic....
  • msandm
    I think I just had a brain malfunction. Of course you can select it in Logic. I closed Logic, set the Lynx to 96Khz it stayed. Then when I open Logic it reverts back to the last opened Project which was obviously in 44.1 so it automatically jumps back to 44.1.. I then opened a new project and set it to 96khz and the Lynx automatically jumps to 96Khz... Just didn't realise they were so smart acting together...
  • Peter Schwartz
    LOL (brain malfunction. I have them all the time!) I think that Logic always wants to be "the decider" as our former president so described himself at one point LOL! One way to prevent the possibility of a late night, bleary-eyed, "what the **** is going on" moments is if you set Logic to "do nothing" when you launch it. Glad you got it all sorted! Now, just one more test to be sure of stuff... when you did that loopback test to check for potential differences in latency between the two units, did you happen to notice if the loopback recordings were perfectly in-line with the original track? (FWIW, I still can't see your photos in the previous thread).
  • msandm
    I had actually deleted the session with those test in it. So I went back and did it again. It seems this time that there is a tiny bit of Latency. Not sure what could have change. There's a bit between Aurora 1 and 2 and also between original takes and new recordings. It is so slight with between Aurora 1 and 2 but there is a definite phase problem between the original and the new recordings. I've attached a screen shot of the new set. Hopefully it works. [img]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/DamianPClarkson/Screenshot2011-06-20at90100PM.png[/img]
  • Peter Schwartz
    Yup, that's the kind of behavior I was actually expecting to see. You can compensate for the delay between the original and loopback recording (first unit) by adjusting the recording delay parameter. But you'll have to keep in mind that the second unit (bottom track?) will be one bit out, and as I mentioned previously that could be a problem if you're tracking stereo between the two units. Or, perhaps, it might affect the phase of a drum kit using inputs which span the two units. Just to be sure, though, please identify what we're seeing in each of the four tracks.
  • msandm
    Sorry, should have described the picture. The top two tracks are the original two audio pieces on tracks 1 and 2. The 3rd Track is track 3 of First Aurora and the 4th track is the first track of the second aurora. Through trial and error I worked out to have the Latency at -25 samples to correct the delay between new recordings overdubbed on already recorded pieces but that doesn't help the Latency between the 2 Auroras. Any suggestions there? If I'm recording 24 channels I really don't want the last 8 being out of sync with the 1st 16.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: