macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tekemou
    Move regions to existing Folder??
    Just finished the folders tutorial. How do we add regions to an existing folder. The help manual states that this is done by dragging existing regions into the folder region at the top level of the Arrange hierarchy, and that if the folder does not contain a track that uses the same channel strip as the source region, then LOGIC CREATES ONE. However, it does in my case. It often overlaps some regions on an existing track. For example, say in my main arrangement I have a folder track on track 1, a MIDI track on track 2, and an audio track on 3, and my folder contains a MIDI track on 1 and an audio track on 2. If I drag a MIDI region from my arrangement (track 2) into the folder, it appears on track 2 in the folder even though this is an audio track. If I drag an audio region from track 3 into the folder, it appears on a newly created track with no output and I have to manually reassign it. Is there something I am doing wrong or a setting I need to alter to make Logic create a new folder channel when a new region is added if an appropriate one does not already exist? It seems the only workaround is to create a screenset with 2 arrange pages and an audio environment layer. Hopefully I am wrong. Here is my process: 1. Link the audio environment layer to the arrange with the track you want to move. Select that track on the 1st arrange page. Deselect the link on the environment. 2. navigate to the inside of the folder you want to move the region to in the other arrange page. Create an empty track in that folder, then use the Midi Thru tool on the Audio Environment layer to select the highlighted track from step one. 3. Now that the folder has the correct track for your region, either carefully drag and drop it from one arrange page to the other or cut and paste at original position after selecting the new track. (If one just drags the region onto the folder it will be placed haphazardly on a random track, not the correct audio instrument track just created and will need to moved immediately.) The track mixer could be used instead of the environment provided that you do not have Multitimbral AU instruments in your arrangement (which I happen to have a lot of). I recall there being a way to show these in the Track Mixer but I cannot remember how. Does anyone know? Overall this seems to be a cumbersome process to perform a very simple task (move regions from the arrange page to an existing folder). Is there a simpler way to do this?
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Move regions to existing Folder??
    I think the short answer is "yes, there's a simpler way". But first, what version of Logic are you running?
  • Tekemou
  • Peter Schwartz
    Thanks. OK, I can't speak for 9.1.4 because I don't work with that version. But the tried-and-true method for adding items to a folder has always been drag-and-drop. And FWIW, I'll relate to you some of the difficulty I've had getting regions into folders with the idea that my workarounds might be helpful... Sometimes I find that dragging a region onto a folder doesn't cause the folder to highlight as it should prior to letting go of the mouse. One remedy worth a shot: If you're adding a region that's on a track below the folder's track, create a blank track underneath it (simply use the "new track with same instrument/channel strip command". Ultimately it doesn't matter what kind of track it is). Drag the region into that space, and then up to the folder. That often works. If the region is above the folder, then of create an empty track above the folder and try the same approach.
  • Tekemou
    I'm not sure if you are understanding my issue. I dont have a problem dragging and dropping. The issue is where the resulting regions are dropped. Not in the right place. I do this a track at a time rather than dropping regions from many tracks. The tracks from those regions are not created by Logic. And creating the correctly corresponding track for those regions is a PITA as I have to go to the environment and use the midi thru tool.
  • Tekemou
    Maybe David Earl could make a suggestion?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: