macProVideo.com
Forums
  • TrackHead
    Drum samples distorting sound
    I may get hammered for this question but I need help. The drum sample I am using is clashing with the rest of the tracks distorting the sounds. How can I fix this. It's sort of like an 808 sound, and it's conflicting with the session bass and other sounds. I'm a newbie that this and I really need some help. Thanks.
  • Hamish H
    Re: Drum samples distorting sound
    Hey Trackhead Nope, there's no getting hammered here! All questions welcome :) Like these ones to you: what sort of drum is it? Kick or snare? And how is it distorting the sounds? Are you finding that you have to turn it up to make it heard over the bass, which then makes it too loud? Or does it clash some other way, like just sound really muddy, or out of tune, or just crap? Are you totally attached to this sample? OK thats questions out of the way (for now), now here's some things you can try If the drum is a kick, lo cut EQ every other track except for bass at around 200Hz. I'm guessing you're making dance music if you're using an 808 so you should keep the bottom 200Hz totally clear for just kick and bass. Next, choose which one out of the two (kick or bass) you want to carry the deep deep frequencies. Its usually the kick. So try to lo cut a little of the bass to clear up the boominess down there. You'd be surprised how much you can cut to clear up the sounds. Does this make a difference to the kick? There are some other EQ tricks and compression tricks too (both Olav and Nigel Broad have good tips in their Logic tutorials), but see how you go with these ones for starters. And write back, all questions are good questions! Cheers Hamish
  • TrackHead
    Hi Harnish. Thanks a lot but it didn't seem to clear the sound up when I low cut the other tracks. The kick is still muffling everything, and sounds really clashy, and staticky. The sound that's causing the issue is the FAT KICK from the Hip Hop Sly Kit in Ultra Beat.
  • Hamish H
    OK then... I won't be at Logic until later tonight, but in the meantimee, here's some more questions, general ones first: 1. Is the sample distorted when you solo it? 2. Are the other instruments OK if you mute the kick? 3. Do you have any other plugins on the kick's channel strip? 4. Do you have any Aux sends on the channel strip? And now Ultrabeat specific: 1. Have you tried another kick drum in Ulrtabeat? 2. How have you set up Ultrabeat? As a single stereo output or as a multi output? 3. What volume is the Fat Kick set to within Ultrabeat? (each sample has a n individual volume level - the blue bar next to the name of the sample) 4. Does the sample have any extra processing applied, ie from Osc 1,2, or the distortion unit in Ultrabeat? What happens if you turn those off? HTH for now, I'll dig the sample up later tonight. Cheers H
  • Hamish H
    Hi again OK the way it seems to me is that there is a ton of low frequency energy in the sample. It is also 1.4 seconds long in its default setting, which is good if you have the kick hits spread wide apart but too full on if you have them closer - the low frequency boominess never stops. Try shortening envelope 4 (by grabbing the blue 'decay' dot and dragging it to the left). About 300ms - 350 works for me. For me, even though it decays faster its still reaaaaal bassy and quite overpowering. Its making the speakers work a lot so maybe thats what's muffling the other sounds in your track. I can't get any staticy vibe, but if you've clicked on the noise oscilator by accident you'll be hearing some dirty high frequency stuff too. Try another sample and see if that sounds better with your track - you have plenty to choose from in Ultrabeat. And Ultrabeat lets you tune your samples too, so once you find a kick that you like, see if you can fine tune it to the track. I'd also recommend lo cut EQing the kick from 35hz down as a matter of course, unless you have sub monitors and can clearly hear whats going on down there. Hope that helps, if not please write back with the answers to the questions I asked before. Hamish
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: