macProVideo.com
Forums
  • rockstar23
    Drake, Lil wayne
    Hey guys i know most of you dont like music like this but i really want to figure out how i can make my kicks and 808's sounds like this song.. the low end is so clean and booming its perfect how can i achieve this in logic pro.. any advice would be helpfull ..thank you!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ksx8tE4Qw
  • Hamish H
    Re: Drake, Lil wayne
    Hey rockstar23 I don't have too much experience with sub basses and kicks, mainly because my monitors and headphones don't let me hear that low! so I've never tried to make this kind of sound. So the only advice I can offer is some theoretical stuff that I've picked up from the MPV tutorials (esp. Olav's mixing tutorials and Nigel Broad), the articles on the Hub and a bit of word of mouth: 1. Keep everything under 200Hz free of everything except bass and kick. 2. Decide which one (out of bass and kick) is going to carry the sub frequencies, and locut EQ the other. In the link you sent it sounds like the bass is carrying the sub frequencies, so you should lo cut the kick so it doesn't compete in the same frequency range. 3. Find the 'click' of the kick and cut the EQ of the bass at that frequency so it comes through nice and clear. 4. Use some compression to glue the bass and kick together There are some other specific EQ and compression tricks that you're best off hearing from Nigel Broad and Olav themselves, so I'd recommend their tutorials even though its not the same kind of music. And you should definitely read this article from the hub about the SubBass plugin: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/quick-tip-creating-fatter-bass-logics-subbass-plugin[/url] Sorry I can't help more than that, hopefully some other producers out there can chip in too, Cheers Hamish
  • Christian L
    Re: Drake, Lil wayne
    Hi Rockstar23, I did a quick remake of the main beat of the track... please take a listen (and a look) at this Logic project : [url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8wnvi[/url] The sub kick follows the chord progression in the original. I used a sine wave (on the ES2 sub track) to get a clean low end, but you could experiment with other waveforms with some LP filtering. The sub was dirtier in the original so you can add some overdrive to taste (the overdrive plugin is bypassed in my project. Option-click on the "overdrive" plugin to turn it on). As Hamish suggested, it could be a good idea to compress both the kick and the sub bass on an Aux to glue them together. Usually not the type of music I produce, but I hope it can help you find the super low sound you're looking after! :) Christian
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: