macProVideo.com
Forums
  • msandm
    'Too Slow or System Overload'
    Hi, I've been getting the message which is in the attached screenshot below. [img]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/DamianPClarkson/Screenshot2011-07-03at32536PM.png[/img] I've checked out the other posts relating to this problem and they don't seem to be relevant to my issue. I have a brand new Mac Pro with specs as below: Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro5,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Memory: 8 GB Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03 SMC Version (system): 1.39f11 SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11 In my session I have barely any plug ins on each channel as I use mainly outboard processors. I have no other programs open, my space is more than enough as far as I'm aware (1.8 Terrabytes), I have 8 gig of ram. I can't work out why my computer would not be able to handle a session like this. I used to have much larger session filled with plugins running on my old iMac which was no where near as fast or up to date as this one... Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Damian
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: 'Too Slow or System Overload'
    Hi Damian, What is the I/O Buffer size in your project? Preferences > Audio Are you running Logic in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? :) R
  • msandm
    Hi, I'm running it in 32 bit mode and the buffer size is set at 256...Is this an issue? I thought I got a computer that could handle a lot...well that was the plan anyway. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Also, in Preferences > Audio > Devices > Core Audio check to see if Processing threads is set to 'Automatic'. If it is change this to 8. Also, to check... you're running Logic 9.1.3 or .4? How many audio tracks and instruments are you running? Thanks R
  • msandm
    It was set to Automatic, I changed it to 8.. What does this actually mean? I am using V 9.1.4 I actually have about 20 tracks in this session but not all at once and probably 8 or 9 of them have any plug ins inserted. I thought about freezing tracks but the whole reason I upgraded my computer to this (quite expensive) one was to avoid these kinds of issues. Thanks, Damian
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Damian, 'Automatic' means that Logic will try to automatically utilise the no. of cores on your Mac Pro. However, there were some issues with the recent versions of Logic not doing a great job. So setting it manually often works better: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4426[/url] So, with the setting at "8" are you still experiencing glitches? Does this happen in all projects? Can you test another one - or better still, create a blank new project and test it? In your Sys Preferences > Energy Saver uncheck 'Put hard disk to sleep when possible' Are you using an external hard drive? Do you have the latest drivers installed for all your audio hardware? Have you tried switching to 64-bit mode? Please do try these and let me know who you get on. Cheers Rounik p.s. Did you perform a clean install of Logic or use migration assistant? (Former is advised)
  • msandm
    Unfortunately I cannot perform all these tests right now but will try in the morning and get back to you. Thanks for your help...again. Damian
  • msandm
    Ok, so I've switched to setting 8 in 'processing threads'. Energy saver is off. I'm using my second internal drive so not the one will all applications etc on it. It is purely audio files on this drive. I'm now in 64 bit mode and I'm still having issues. Probably not as much as I was when I wrote the post initially but they are still there. I've realised the main time it happens in when something is looped in cycle mode and alos at one point in a specific session. Any thoughts? Damian
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks for the info. What sample rate is your project? Do you have the latest drivers for your hardware? Did you install Logic from the DVDs (or via Migration Assistant)? Does this occur in any other project? Is this project you're using one you created recently? Thanks Rounik
  • msandm
    The sample rate for the project that is giving the error message is only 44.1Khz as it was imported from an old program. I normally use 96khz but this was from the old program. Could that have any effect? The audio files were originally recorded in Adobe Audition but I'm now using Logic on a new computer so I transferred them all across.... I installed it from the DVDs. It seems to mainly occur with the one project at a specific time but the error when looping occurs with many and is quite inconsistent. It is a project created recently (a week or so, when I transferred the files). Thanks, Damian
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: