macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: 'Too Slow or System Overload'
    Thanks Damian, I don't fully understand... did you create this new project on your new Mac or on the old Mac. Do you face these problems with other projects? Thanks R
  • Peter Schwartz
    Couple of things... You're running this project from your internal drive? Do you have an external drive (FW, not USB)? In your Energy Saver prefs, do you have your HD set to sleep? Since the problem occurs where you said a lot of looping begins, try "unwrapping" the loops (select one or more looped parts and use the [b]convert loops-->real copies[/b] function) Also, when you get that error message (as pictured in your first post) there's a button that says "more info". When you click that, what info do you get?
  • msandm
    In response to Rounik's question: I created a new project on my new and current Mac. The old project was all recorded in Adobe Audition on an old mac, running windows through boot camp, I then purchased my new Mac Pro and transferred all the audio files to the new project and mac. In response to Ski's question: -I have 2 internal drives, one with all applications and everything on it and the other with all audio files on it. So all audio in projects is opened from there. -I do have an external drive but it is pretty full and I use that as back up to what I have on the computer. I've always loaded music from the internal drives on my past computers and there's never been an issue. All the other computers I've ever had have been no where near as powerful as this one, memory, space etc... -In regards to looping, I don't think I explained properly, I actually meant cycle mode, when you have the green cycle bar at the top on and the song just repeats over and over again. That is the main time is has this error. -The 'more info' button leads to to a help section about the sudden motion sensor, which I followed their instructions and it still did nothing. Also, I thought that was only for Laptops that the sudden motion thing applied. Thanks, Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    What I was after was whether or not you were running your projects from a separate, dedicated project drive, and it seems as though you are, so that's good. Is it a 7200 RPM drive? Also, are you playing back a lot of samples, and if so, which drive are they located on? As far as looping, I sometimes find with my system that if cycle is on that I get more frequent overload messages than when it's off. Even though I'm running a much older system than yours, I thought I'd relate this behavior.
  • msandm
    I'm 99% sure it is 7200 RPM from memory when I bought it but I can't find out where to confirm this info. I'm am not running a single sample in the project. In regards to the cycle mode thing, any idea why this would be? I'm quite often looping segments whilst figuring out settings etc on hardware at specific points in songs and it makes it really hard when it come doing that... Thanks, Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    As far as the cycle mode causing overloads, I don't know the reasons behind it. I'm only relating a behavior that I've noticed on my system, and when I turn it off I have fewer overloads. Just as a test, try running the project for a while with cycle turned off and see if you notice any difference in behavior. Taking a different tack, how much free space do you have on your project drive?
  • msandm
    I have 1.89 Terrabytes free on the project drive and 1.83 Terrabyte free on the normal drive. So I don't think i I have a space issue. The cycle mode thing seems to happen when it gets to the end of a cycle and jumps back to the start of the cycle again. Like it jolts or something... Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    There's a setting called Cycle Pre-Processing or something like that. Not sure if it's in the Preferences or Song Settings, but anyway, take a look for it and experiment with the settings. Maybe you'll find one that works to alleviate the problem.
  • Rohogay
    I think I know what is up here, I have this problem on occasion myself. Very powerful hardware and system. All up to date. Here is what I have concluded. One, This happens when you're doing a lot of crunching and something is draining the well of resources. I find it might be an unused but still active plug in. Flex editing is definitely a culprit so be sure to turn that off if you're not using it. If there are a lot of 32 bit plugs, that will do it alone. I have found less 32 bit, less trouble all around. So, It turns out the system is simple taxed for speed and energy a bit more then it can handle. you're going to have to go through the system one thing at a time and try disabling things until it stops. I always do a restart and when it rears its head, I try and take my project, export my files and set them up in another new project to compare what is going on. So far this error has never shut me down, but it can if you keep pushing along. It really amounts to a lot of load that is starting to catch up to the softwares capability. I suspect it will be resolved in updates. Still working with computers and software in 2011. looking back, it's a dream compared to what I had to deal with just two years ago. If you wish to upload your project , I am sure we would be willing to run it on our system and see if we too have the same problem. Also, what are all the plugs your using? That is pretty important. Are they 32 bit?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: