macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    Painless Upgrade
    I just upgraded to Logic 9 and it went real smooth. There is a difference. When I "create empty project" with "software instrument" selected, it default installs the EVP88 channel strip setting. This was not the case in logic 8 (or maybe I deleted this channel strip setting way back when I first upgraded to 8 and didn't realize it). Anyway..I don't want this to happen. I want an empty track with an empty channel strip setting. Is this normal or is this a bug? Also, I have been having an issue with East West Pianos. I noticed something strange today. After I installed Logic 9 I went and loaded a big piano patch in east west pianos. The hit to my ram was approx. 500-600 Mbs. I pulled up the activity monitor and noticed that the EW Play memory server used up another 200 Mbs. I started playing some high note content piano and it worked like a dream......at first. Then after playing for about five minutes I started getting real bad pops in the audio. I launched the activity monitor and the system memory was almost completely used up. And almost all of the memory was allocated to "inactive" memory. It was about 4.5 Gbs!!!. I only Had 18 Mbs of system memory left (out of 6 Gbs)!!!! All of this memory got used up simply by playing the East West Piano.. What is inactive memory and why does it take away available memory? anybody know? Logic 9 in 32 bit mode. Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Painless Upgrade
    Hi Rob, By default now, when creating a new Software Instrument track in Logic 9.1 an EVP88 is inserted on that track :( There are a number of ways to disable it... One way is to simply untick "Open Library" in the New Tracks dialog box. As for the memory issue... try downloading the latest updates for EW and launching Logic in 64-bit mode. :)
  • Vivisuy
    Thanx, I went to the EastWest website and discovered that they had finally released the Play 3 update. I installed it and the problem seems to be completely solved. I still get a slow climb in my inactive memory. It got to 3.5 gb. I'm not quite ready for 64 bit just yet. I need more RAM. I am looking at a 24 gb package at OWC for $303. That price looks to be more than fair. Any suggestions? Thanks for the responses. Rob
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re:
    In 32-bit mode, Logic can't address (in reality) more than about 3.5G of RAM (and that's a very liberal estimate). The only way you're going to be able to run a 3.5G piano is to run Logic in 64-bit mode, or, to run Logic in 32-bit mode and run Play as a standalone plugin accessed via IAC.
  • Vivisuy
    Interesting. What is IAC Also. None of my good third party audio effects are in 64 bit yet. ( Waves, Mcdsp, UAD). Can I track a session in 64 bit and then bounce the session to separate audio tracks and then reopen it in 32 bit for the mix down? I wish these effects guys would get on the ball! Rob
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re:
    "an I track a session in 64 bit and then bounce the session to separate audio tracks and then reopen it in 32 bit for the mix down?" Sure. But if you have any 64-bit plugins active when in 32-bit mode you may run into problems (i.e., if you open the same session in 32-bit mode). You could always save the session in which you've printed (bounced) your tracks under a new name and remove any 64-bit plugins before switching to 32-bit mode. IAC Bus: inter-application communication bus. It's for sending MIDI data between applications, similar to ReWire. So if you have a standalone plugin that's running in 64-bit mode while Logic's in 32-bit mode, you could send MIDI to the plugin via IAC and return its audio to Logic (and that's usually done via an Aux channel). Setting this up isn't that hard, though you need to know a few things in order to prevent causing a MIDI feedback loop. Post back if you want details.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: