macProVideo.com
Forums
  • B_A_capacity
    which audio card?
    I am using Logic Pro; and I also have a Triton and Fantom keyboard that I sometimes record as an External Midi track (as opposed to software instrument). I was told to get an audio card with at least 4 channels so I can put my keyboard tracks from external midi to an audio track in my Logic software. Could you recommend which audio card would be best?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: which audio card?
    Hi ! There are so many options, here are some more questions for you: - Do you need the audio interface to support MIDI? (i.e. you're not plugging the Ext. MIDI devices in to your Mac via USB) - Do you need preamps? Will you be recording vocals/guitar etc - using mic's with xlr connections? - What's your budget? Thanks!
  • B_A_capacity
    At the stage I am now, I will not be recording guitars or vocals (maybe one day). However, if you can help me get ready for that day at the same time I'm learning how to handle my current situation, that would be great and I could be flexible with the budget because recording guitars and vocals would be an awesome experience. My current situation is that I have the MIDI keyboards plugged into my iMac through MOTU fastlane usb. When I'm sequencing I can make a track in my LogicPro. But I'm trying to take my tracks to a local studio without having to take my Triton into the studio with me. They said I need an audio card and I will be able to save my keyboard tracks as audio instead of a midi file. So, to answer your question, I think I AM plugging ext. MIDI devices into my MAC via USB because that's how I hear my keyboard in LogicPro when I'm not using onboard instrument sounds.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Well, you could be pretty flexible in terms of audio interfaces. Basically, you need a 4 input and 2 output interface for your needs right now. So, some good Firewire based interfaces to look at would be: - Presonus Firestudio Mobile (10 inputs, 6 outputs - 2 mic preamps, very reasonable price) - Mackie Onyx (More than you need, reasonable price - never used one though) - MOTU Ultralite (10 inputs, 14 outputs, built-in effects, 2 mic preamps, good stuff) - Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (8 inputs, 6 outputs, 2 mic preamps included, great price - and there's the Pro 24 for more ins and outs, etc) - RME Fireface 400 (8 inputs and outputs - 2 mic preamps - very good quality - but pricey) If price was an issue I'd look at Presonus or Focusrite... but the RME mic preamps are probably the best (useful when you consider recording audio from a microphone). I haven't listed whether they include MIDI In and Out as you've already got the fastlane which should suffice. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Xygefeo
    If you dont mind me asking. Why didnt you suggest the Apogee Duet ?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Dis-One, It's a good point. I love (and use) the Apogee Duet myself, but it only features 2 inputs (with very high quality mic preamps I might add). However, if the OP wants to hook up and record two synths simultaneously in stereo, then he/she will need four inputs minimum (2 inputs per synth). :)
  • B_A_capacity
    Wow, thanks guys. Now I have some shopping to do.
  • Peter Schwartz
    FWIW, a perspective... I find the mic pres on my RME FireFace800 to be dead-sounding compared to those in my Mackie 1642 mixing board. The FF800's pre's aren't even "unflattering", they're just kinda awful. Hard to explain. Anyway, I run my outboard MIDI devices into that (as well as mics) and from there, various outputs are connected to the input of my interface. So that's another way to go.
  • B_A_capacity
    thank you
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: