macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jug
    logic and drum machines
    Hi there! i was hoping someone would be able to help me, or point me in the right direction to set up my drum machine with logic. I have a machine drum and am new to logic and dont really know my way around yet. ive tried a few things but havent had any luck. any help would be greatly appreciated....
  • Christian L
    Re: logic and drum machines
    Hi Jug and welcome to the forums! Can you tell us more info about your drum machine and what you want to be able to do ?
  • JGUNZ
    Hey Jug! I have an MV8000 which is a drum machine and I have the aux out of the MV plugged into my firewire 410 audio in. I select an audio track and record it as an audiofile. I have not figured out how to set it up as midi, but it works good through audio. Took a litle bit of experimenting so try it out and see if it works!!
  • jug
    Thanks guys. Basically i want to midi sync it with what im doing in logic, and be able to record it. whether its best to have logic the master or the drummmachine im not sure which is more precise. the drum machine has 6 out 2 in.The midi lock has been tight when ive used it in other programs. hope this gives you abit more info. Jex i'll give that a go also. But midi sync is my main priority.
  • JGUNZ
    Set you drum machine as a slave in midi muti-timbre mode. Go into logic and create a new enviorment window, give it the name of your drum machine. Select select New>Multi Instrument from the menu bar. In the environment window select New>Sequencer Input from the drop down menu. This allows your newly created Multi Instrument to talk to the sequencer engine in Logic. Click on the pads nneded to activate the midi, In the grey parameters box click on port and find your machine. Then hit edit>copy to copy this enviorment then close the window. Create a new track and click edit>paste to paste new enviorment to track. Let me know if this works for you. Peace
  • Christian L
    Also, if you want your drum machine patterns to follow logic tempo you will need to check the following settings. 1-)Go to File-Project settings-Synchronization-General. Make sure Sync Mode is set to "Internal". (In Logic 7 it was File-Song Settings-Synchronization.) 2-)Go to the Midi tab. Click Destination 1 and choose the Midi port that is connected to your Drum Machine. It's possible that you will need to make other settings on your drum machine. It needs to be setup as "Slave". Tell us what is your drum machine if you need further assistance.
  • jug
    thanks, will give it a go after work today!!
  • jug
    thanks guys! pretty much have got it sorted. 2 things, jex. when i went to click on port to find my machine, i couldnt find it. all that was listed was my sound card? On the track ive put my drum machine, when i hit record. the notes are recorded. but no sound on the playback. something with the instrument set up in the environment??
  • jug
    oh ! one other thing, if i open ableton in rewire. When i go to close ableton says i must close master first. when i go to close logic it says to close rewire slave first. the only way out is to force quit. is the a rewire setting somewhere??
  • GaryHiebner
    I just saw this post. I am trying to set up my Yamaha RX-5 drum machine with Logic 8. Can anyone please help. I am using my MBox 2 Pro as my MIDI interface. The MIDI out is going from my MBox 2 Pro to the MIDI In on the RX-5. I have set up an Audio Track, and an external MIDI track. For the port on the External MIDI Track I have chosen the Digidesign MBox 2 Pro Port 1. This doesnt seem to work. Are there some extra steps I am missing?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: