macProVideo.com
Forums
  • msandm
    Flex time goes out over time...
    Hi, Hopefully this is a straight forward question but I've tried everything and I can't get it to work. I recorded a kick drum about 8 times and then looped it. There were a few kicks not right on the beat so I am trying to use flex time to correct it. It works perfectly for about 10 bars but the kick slowly goes out of time as it progresses. I've tried many different quantize settings but no matter what I do the kick ends up being late. It is not sticking it to the metronome as it should... Any suggestions? Thanks, Damian
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Flex time goes out over time...
    Hey Damian, Have you zoomed right in at the end of the loop to make sure that the region/loop end ends on the bar/beat? Cheers Rounik
  • msandm
    Well, I had converted the whole loop section into one wave file so I thought either way it would match up to the beat. I did however discover later that the loop wasn't right on the beat by the tinyiest bit. Is it just that the flex time can't fix something that is that far off? I thought it would. Thanks, Damian.
  • Rounik Admin
    well... what flex mode are you using? Slicing? It should work if you've copied the region - but if you're looping it then you're basically offsetting the loop out by an extra certain amount every x number of beats. Best to snip that region to make it a perfect loop then let flex time do it's job. Easiest way (i find) to do this is position the marquee tool over where the loop should end. e.g. Bar 5 and double-click. Remove the extraneous lil' region and loop the original. Now try flexing. :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    You said you recorded some kicks... is this an audio recording?
  • msandm
    Yes that's right. Recorded them myself. Damian.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Cool. Next... open the event list and click the arrow (upper left hand corner) so that you're seeing a list of regions and their lengths. Find the WAV file that you made. What's it's length, and, is there a dot at the end of the length readout? 8.0.0.0.
  • msandm
    Hi, It's length is 4 0 0 1 and there is a dot at the end of the length... What does this dot mean? I think I worked out the problem was that the region was not right on the bar when I converted all the loops to one continuous audio file. I thought that flex time would still match the beats to the metronome, through the quan tize setting I applied though... Thanks, Damian
  • Peter Schwartz
    That's not a great value for a loop, and especially not good with the dot at the end. I'll explain... The 1 indicates that your loop is 4 bars and 1 tick in length, so there's no way that'll loop properly. The loop will likely start to sound out of time after just a few repeats. Now, the dot is another story... it means that the length of the loop is 4 beats, 1 tick, and some number of samples long in length. Normally you should be able to cut a loop exactly on a beat and not have any fractional bits left over. But due to what I consider to be a bug in Logic (since Logic 8), sometimes cutting a region on a beat results in some fractional amount in addition to the length you expected. When this problem occurs, the loop length will appear as an 'even' length (like 4 0 0 0) but with a dot at the end. (I can't account for why your loop has the extra tick in it, though). So the best thing would be to try and trim that loop so that it's exactly 4 beats long, i.e., 4 0 0 0, no dot at the end. Unfortunately, sometimes it's not possible to get rid of the dot! Suggest you try the following: Approach #1: use the scissor tool to trim the length down to exactly 4 measures and delete the leftover bit Approach #2: set the playhead to be exactly at the 4 measure mark and use the key command called "Set Region/Event/Marquee End to Playhead Position" (that's a mouthful)! Of course you want to be sure that your region starts exactly on a beat to begin with. If neither of those results in a region that's exactly 4 measures long, bounce the "long" region (use Bounce in Place if you want). Then try trimming that region to be exactly 4 measures. Let us know how you make out.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: