macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Peter Schwartz
    To Lion or Not?
    Just an informal poll/questionnaire: Now that Lion is here: - have you updated yet? If so, why did you update? =[b]or[/b]= - if you haven't updated yet, what are you waiting for?
  • Hamish H
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    Hi Ski I haven't updated, and don't plan to for some time. Reasons: 1. it costs US$35 2. I don't have a trackpad control surface so won't be able to use gestures 3. I never went away from the Mac - I have no ipad or iphone so I don't have any iOS skills to bring back 4. Snow Leopard works just fine for me 5. A very wise yet mysterious forum admin once said "don't update on the first day of a release" and I take that to apply to the next 8 months as well 6. A very wise yet also mysterious forum moderator once said that if you have a stable system, don't change it! Ever! Why would you change it if it already works? Why? Especially not during the middle of a project! And I'm always in the middle of a project 7. Yes 8. (b) 9. All of the above But thats just me, I think it'll be awesome for those who can take advantage of the new tricks it has up its sleeve. Tricky, tricky Lion... Cheers Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. I'll bite... Installing Lion 10.7.0.0.0.0 on my main studio machine...? You joking ;-) - There are reported issues with Logic 9.1.4. - There are reported issues & crashes with a slew (i love that word this week) of 3rd party audio plugins and applications. - My Apogee Duet (original) is not fully supported, and is unlikely to be supported until September sometime. - I want to make music more than I want to use Launchpad on my studio mac. - Mo Volans updated too soon and he definitely experienced some naughtiness from Lion. But... I'm weak... how long can I last... it'll just be one click in the App Store... that's all it needs... - But seriously, I'd rather wait this one out until version .1 has been released. - In fact, Apple just issued a round of further updates for 10.6.8 to 10.6.8.1. I jest you not! :)
  • Hamish H
    Ah yes, the very wise yet mysterious words of the wise yet mysterious forum admin (see point 5, above) ;)
  • Peter Schwartz
    I know who you're referring to. Mysterious? Yes. Wise? Not so sure... (heh) Cool! Anyone else? Can there only be two people in all of MPV-dom that have feelings updating/not-updating that they'd like to share?
  • Dekuruy
    I think it's usually wise to wait a while before updating to a major OS release. There are always bugs. As others have mentioned above, there have been issues reported with running Logic with Lion, so I'll be staying away until things get sorted out. Thankfully, I have that wonderful, yet mysterious resource known as MPV to keep me informed as to what's going on! Maybe Hollywood should do a movie about the folks at MPV and how they keep the aliens of the digital underworld world at bay! Who would Will Smith play?
  • Stevesaxman
    @ Hamish +1 @ Rounik +1 @ Adam, I'm pretty sure Will Smith would play the role of Igor:-)
  • dbassman
    I tried to resist. I really did. I made it a week after the release of Lion. Just bought a new system, figured they owed me the new OS as a new purchaser. I transfered all my current projects over while still on Snowleopard. System was screaming. So, knowing there could be some bugs to work out, and secure I could continue on my old system if I came across any snags, I JUMPED! CCCCRRRRRAAAAPPPPPP!!!!! Lion did not recognize Logic Pro 8! I was confused as I knew it wouldn't use any of my PowerPC plugins, but Logic Pro 8 was NOT a PowerPC app! Besides, it was an Apple product for crying out loud! So, I upgraded to Logic Studio 9. Lion ate that one too, with a disheartening reject! Did they not even check this out before releasing the Lion out of the cage?!? Fortunately, 9.1.4 update fixed my issues. I updated some NI plugins (KORE 2, KORE player, etc.) and all is well, so far. Today, after many emails to Apple, phone calls to tech support and trips to my local Apple Store, I am happily recording, engineering and producing on a new screaming system (3.7 GHz Quad, iCore 7, 16GB RAM, 2TB HD) with Lion and Logic Studio 9.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi dbassman, Sounds like you've had a roller coaster ride! The reason Logic 8 install disc won't work with Lion is it is PPC and Intel compatible and contains Rosetta code, which I believe is no longer supported under Lion. Glad you're back making music again(!) - and with a sweet setup too! Cheers Rounik
  • gordonjgray
    I upgraded to Lion on my MBP and it crashes regularlyâ¦. can't stand the way Finder operates, and I will not upgrade my Mac Pro until I absolutely have to.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: