macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Posts: 8713
    Joined: Dec 16th, 2006, 08:13
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    Hi Gordan, Can you tell us more specs for your MBP and how you upgraded (e.g. a clean install or over the top of Snow Leopard)? Also, do check out this article on The MPV Hub on how to change some settings in Lion's Finder to suit Snow Leopard users: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/5-os-x-lion-settings-snow-leopard-users-will-love[/url] Hope it helps...
    Reply
  • costa
    Posts: 1
    Joined: Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:58
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    I updated on the first day. Really like taking risks lol. Macbook pro (2009) and iMac (2009). My powermac G5 recently died hence the use of the iMac. Absolutely no problems with logic 9 on either machine using Fireface 800, Motu 828mk2 and a recently purchased motu microbook (excellent little unit for portability). Be sure that your interface is supported. I know there are issues with some interfaces. Really enjoying lion. fcpx is runs terribly on lion, as it did on snow leopard. Regards Costa
    Reply
  • bobdemaa
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Mar 28th, 2007, 10:08
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    I too updated to Lion on the First Day. I have a 2007 2.13Ghz MBP intel dual core 2 duo. So far I love it. Logic has been fine. A couple of plug-ins need updating but I've run a few sessions on here with no problems. JackOSX works as well. I downloaded the beta which has a quirk or two but it was working fine. Anyone else using this? I swear it's the most efficiently operating Audio Driver i've ever used. Speaking of efficiency. I think Lion is much more CPU friendly then the Leopards were. This MBP is a little long in the tooth, but I'm still getting work done with it, and Lion may have added another year to it's usefulness. On my Mac Pro I am going to hold off updating. Too many plug-ins that I can't work without, and Lion breaks Pro Tools, which I do sometimes need. cheers!
    Reply
  • Rounik Admin
    Posts: 8713
    Joined: Dec 16th, 2006, 08:13
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    I'm starting to hear/read more and more positive reports regarding Lion and Logic. ... I'm almost tempted to install Lion, until that is I remember my Duet and Pro Tools are not yet compatible. Cheers! R
    Reply
  • Peter Schwartz
    Posts: 545
    Joined: Sep 15th, 2007, 06:04
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    I'm starting to read more positive things too. That said, the best course of action with the least possibility of regret would be to get Carbon Copy Cloner and make a complete backup of your current system first. Then, if things go awry, you can get revert back to a known/working system.
    Reply
  • gordonjgray
    Posts: 18
    Joined: Aug 22nd, 2010, 06:14
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    Rounik, thanks, this helped. So far, I can't see any real difference in performance on my 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 MBP (8GB 1067 MHz DDR3) running Leopard and running Lion, except that Lion does not support everything I run. Mac's are definitely superior to PC's for audio, but Apple's predilection for making the public shake-out their software bugs is what Microsoft was notorious for doing that tarnished Microsoft's reputation. Thanks, GG
    Reply
  • Rounik Admin
    Posts: 8713
    Joined: Dec 16th, 2006, 08:13
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    I understand what you're saying... at the same time, I've never found the first point version of any of Apple's OS's 100% compatible with Pro Apps or 100% stable. Give it a couple of point revisions and an update or two for Logic and 3rd party plugins, etc and we should start to see better pro performance. Cheers Rounik
    Reply
  • Wipavue
    Posts: 166
    Joined: May 31st, 2008, 01:12
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    So far, I am staying with SL with 9.1.3, and I am generally satisfied. I don't need anything from Lion, so I am not going to be herded into it. I have my pride.
    Reply
  • Rounik Admin
    Posts: 8713
    Joined: Dec 16th, 2006, 08:13
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    Oh... Very good :) Lion.... herd... pride... I like the way you think :) Well, Lion aside, Logic 9.1.5 is pretty stable here. As good as 9.1.3 (9.1.4 was a clanger). Personally, I'd have no reservation recommending you upgrade to 9.1.5. The thing to do is duplicate the existing Logic.app and rename one of the copies to Logic 913 or similar. These Logic updates appear to only change the applications file itself and none of the settings files from what I've seen. :)
    Reply
  • Wipavue
    Posts: 166
    Joined: May 31st, 2008, 01:12
    Re: To Lion or Not?
    Ok, but I just cannot see any reason for me to start Lion around.
    Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: