macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Peter Schwartz
    What do you use Logic for?
    I thought it might be interesting to get an idea of what different people use Logic for. While music production might seem like the obvious answer, I'm aware of people who use Logic as solely an audio recorder, sound effects creation and editing, dialog editing, and so on. So... What do you use Logic for? : - )
  • Dekuruy
    Re: What do you use Logic for?
    Thanks, Peter, for posting this. I too would be interested in hearing how others use Logic, as well as MainStage. There are so many things that can be done. I look at Logic as a musical instrument - a tool with almost unlimited possibilities for any use involving audio and/or MIDI - the Environment is indispensable. It is the centerpiece of how I work with my students, and the way I teach them music. While I don't have the time at this very moment to go into many details - although I'd like to at a later time - I can refer you to this link to give you an idea: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/mainstage&id=26234&sid=#26234[/url] My uses for Logic (and MainStage) are always expanding, as my knowledge and understanding of the programs grow.
  • Rounik Admin
    I use it to write tutorials on Logic for the MPV Hub. I also use Logic to um... teach Logic... :-P - OK... Well, the Environment is where I spend a lot of time. Love that place. - Love making ambient, glitchy ambient music when I get time! (?) - Sound Design is a definite yes too. More and more I've been using it to record and edit and audio interviews I conduct over Skype... I use Markers a lot to help me navigate the audio interviews and then transcribe the audio to text ... which, you guessed it... makes its way on The Hub. e.g. Peter's interview: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/interview/feature-interview-with-a-trainer-peter-schwartz[/url] - When I was doing video tuts I'd edit and sweeten (when possible!) my voice over in Logic. What about the rest of you... what kind of music production do you create in Logic? :)
  • Stevesaxman
    Wellllllll, I use Logic in several different ways. I have been producing some hip hop artists, singer/songwriters as well as my own jazz/fusion/electronica (insert 20 more genres here) projects. I also have a company that does all original web design which includes original audio as well. Logic is great for this. One of the things that I love the most about Logic is how it caters to a VERY fast creative process. Its really cool to see the look on my band members faces when I bring a new tune to the table every week. To their ears, it sounds like a finished studio project with their parts already recorded. It makes it so much easier to convey my musical vision for a song this way. I use Ableton Live for performance on stage, but many of my loops are crafted in Logic. Additionally, when I am asked to do studio work for people out of state, Logic allows me to record my parts in the comfort of my own home without having to travel. BTW, I'm a little sad to see the idisk go bye-bye but thats another topic.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Thanks for your replies so far! Stevesaxman, regarding the iDisk, and as someone else who collaborates long-distance, I always found iDisk to be the most agonizing method of file transfer because it was sooooooooooo slow! And when transferring files it seems to bog down my sysem. Have you found that as well?
  • Stevesaxman
    Hey Ski, For the most part the idisk has worked beautifully for me. However, when I added a new macbook pro to the equation and had multiple computers referencing, the sync started to give me some real headaches and my system did get bogged down on my desktop computer. I actually reverted to syncing manually only when I knew there were files to be updated. What are you using to do transfers now? Some sort of FTP server thingamajiggy? I'm pretty sure that is the technical term...lol
  • Peter Schwartz
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Yup, I'm using an FTP thingy LOL! I find that FTP is the best option all 'round. It gives everyone full control and monitoring over file uploading and downloading. I use an "FTP Client" app called Transmit (www.panic.com). Combined with the server space I have with my hosting company, I have an unlimited amount of space to upload files for projects I'm working on. Similarly, my clients can upload files as well. Each project's data is in a unique folder that can't be accessed by anyone else. Considering the amount of long-distance work I do, FTP is by far the most economical option, and that aside, IMO it's the most professional approach to take when dealing with high-end clients (as I do). iDisk (despite my reservations about how well it runs) is in the same league, as is DropBox to an extent, though I don't think either of them offer the control that a combination of server space and FTP app offer.
  • bobdemaa
    It would almost be easier to say what I don't use Logic for. I wear a lot of hats, and the biggest thing I love about it is the flexible workflow. I have templates based on what the job is for and screensets specific to the job. Mixing. I've been bringing Stems from Pro Tools into Logic. The last project I mixed in PT was such a drag, there were too many things I missed about Logics workflow. Plus many of the AU plug-ins were not available as RTAS. And something is wrong with PTs PDC. It's off on several of the busses. Anyway... Mastering. - I have a great workflow for the mastering jobs, including using the I/O plug-in. I also use the Euphonix, er AVID artist mixer and it helps keep things moving along really well. Sound Design. - I've done SD jobs for commercials, and also created Sound FX used in a lot of movie trailers. I use Logic for all my editing and Sound Design. Writing - I don't make a living writing music. Mostly I mix and master, but I have been writing music forever, and obviously Logic is geared for that! Several of the composers I mix for all use Logic. Some of them I've switched from composing in Pro Tools and they adapted much easier then they expected to, and now of course they are much happier. What I don't use Logic for? SRC, and Restoration. - for that I use Izotope RX2, or Audiofile Engineering Sample Manager which utilizes the same Izotope math.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi bd, I'd be very interested to see any trailers for the work you've done sound design for. btw, love RX2. Awesome restoration ability. :)
  • bobdemaa
    Yes, Izotope in general has the most amazing quality for the price. Between RX and Ozone there is an incredible set of tools for fidelity control. : ) I should have specified about the trailers. I don't actually do the trailers, rather I have created FX libraries that contain sounds which are currently being grabbed and used in trailers. I do work with a company called Up Down Sound and we get notified every time one of our FX is pulled and there's a couple of big ones every month it seems. I forget most of the titles except the obvious ones. I had a few sounds in the Avatar Trailer, and in the new Batman trailer. : ) cheers!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: