macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mtec
    Headphone mix
    Hi Guys, im trying to setup a headphone mix and would like some help please. i set up a bus(10) and am sending the mic input channel pre fade send to bus 10( outputs 13/14)phones output motu ultralite. when in rec ready on the mic channel i get no signal going to bus 10 and no output. if i send any of the other tracks with music on them to bus 10-pre fade i hear them and can adjust levels with the send knob no problem. i have added an aux channel to the mixer with the mic as input and sent that to bus 10 pre fade and that works fine. Is this the correct way ? Im a bit baffled by this, any help please. mtec 2.7ghz quad imac 8gb ram motu ultralite mk3
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Headphone mix
    I think that by clicking the "I" button on the channel strips you should be able to hear input. And if that button isn't visible, cntrl+click on the track header; that'll bring up a selector thingy in which you can enable the "I" button to become visible on your tracks. Let us know if that works out for you (or not).
  • mtec
    Re: Headphone mix
    No luck im afraid. if i have rec ready on for an audio channel i can see the mic input going in no problem. Do u know if its poss to send that to a buss which i can add to the headphone mix? Doesn't seem to let me at the mo mtec
  • mtec
    Re: works fine on MBP
    ok i tried the same thing on my MBP with a safire interface and all works as planned. I can send the mic into a channel and route to a bus(pre-fade) and i see input in the channel and the bus. It must be a configuration problem with my Ultralite on my main system. The fun begins. mtec
  • mtec
    Re: still no joy
    ive tried all day and the only way i can send my vocal channel (rec ready) to a bus is to create an input aux and then send that to a bus. Strange! any ideas? mtec
  • Peter Schwartz
    That's weird. When you create a send on a channel, an Aux is already created. The input to that Aux is whatever bus you selected when created the send. The output of that Aux can be set to the output of your choice. If I have a minute I'll check a few things on my end and see if I have the same problems. Meanwhile, you might find this article useful: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/how-to-best-use-bus-channels-in-logic-pro It's not 100% on-topic with what you're talking about, but some of what I explain in there might help.
  • mtec
    firstly thanks for your help. I understand how the bus system works as stated in your last post. i just tried this in my MBP without an interface just using the internal mic. The audio ch (rec ready) gets signal i created a send to bus 10 turned the send knob but nothing gets sent to the bus. if i create a aux or change the input of bus 10 to the mic input then i get signal but then i still have to send that to another bus to change levels for Hphone mix. check it out yourself. mtec
  • Peter Schwartz
    Finally got a chance to play with this. Even though I routinely record audio, I don't use Logic for monitoring, hence I had to do a little digging. Here's what I found: the key ingredient is having software monitoring turned on. If that's off, no amount of nuthin' is going to let you monitor signal being fed into Logic. Furthermore, if s/w monitoring is off, signal won't flow from the channel that's in record to the bus. So first things first, as it would seem: do you have s/w monitoring turned on in Logic?
  • mtec
    Yeah tried SW monitoring but i have to drop the buffer quite low then which is ok for small projects but not so good with projects with lots of tracks. Also I get that rubbish doubling effect. I have worked out how to directly monitor thru the Ultralite using the supplied cue mix software(A bit long winded). I can adjust the vocal mix that way. Many thanks for all the help. mtec
  • Peter Schwartz
    The doubling is likely because you had direct monitoring turned on in your interface as well as having Logic's s/w monitoring on. You can really only use one or the other. Cue Mix is not my favorite piece of software, but it provides the kind of routing you need for your situation. I much prefer the layout of RME's TotalMix, but of course you have to be using an RME interface with that. Wouldn't it be nice if there were some kind of integration between various 3rd party audio systems and Logic, where you could set up exactly the scenario you described initially? Sigh... Anyway, glad you're sorted.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: