macProVideo.com
Forums
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Rounik's Awesome Step Sequencer
    Oh ok. Afraid I don't have Logic 8 on my machine to test. But it should work, unless like you stated the project has used elements which are only available to Logic 9. Test and see if you can open the project, or if it won't allow you to open it because it is from a newer version.
  • bunda
    It will indeed open, but I can't seem to get the step sequencer to work, so I am wondering if there are some elements used in the project from Logic 9 that are causing the step sequencer not to work in my version of Logic 8. Perhaps I am missing something, but I thought I would ask if someone already had some known issues as to why it would not or what would cause it to not work.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bunda It should work fine in Logic 8... Can you describe the steps you take to try and make the sequencer work? Thanks :)
  • bunda
    Hmm, well basically I started by copying the layer from your project and pasting it into the corresponding layer in my Logic 8 project. I also did this in the clicks and ports layer as well, so basically the environments are identical. Now, in the arrange when I try to select 'Rounik's Step' for the channel, it only gives me the options to select individual rows, not the entire 'Rounik's Step' like it is selected in the channels in your Logic 9 project. And even if I do then select the individual rows, nothing seems to play. Transport is obviously running, I've got sound on the instrument when I play it from the keyboard etc. I guess I am missing something in the Mixer layer, but I haven't been able to figure out what I am not cabling correctly... If you have any tips let me know, otherwise I'll just keep drilling away at it until I figure it out. At least I know it will work in Logic 8, so that means the error lies within something I am not doing correctly and not a compatibility issue.
  • GaryHiebner
    Have you connected/cabled Rounik's Sequencer Input Instrument to the Keyboard in the Click & Ports layer?
  • Rounik Admin
    I'd recommend doing the following: 1. Create a new project in Logic 8 and import ONLY the Step Sequencer layer from the Logic 9 project. You should see 4 sequencer rectangles. Their outputs need to be connected to a Monitor object called 'To Click & Ports'. There should be a MIDI click object cabled to a single monitor (called 'From MIDI Click') cabled to each Step sequencer rectangle too. 2. If the MIDI Click is not present then create one from the New > MIDI Metronome Click and cable it appropriately. 3. Open a 2nd Environment window and navigate to the Clicks & Ports layer. Position both windows so you can clearly see the Sequencer Input Object and the 'To Click & Ports' objects. 4. Drag the output of the 'To Click & Ports' object to the Sequencer Input. 5. Now everything is cabled up, create some software instrument tracks loaded with instruments of your choice, hit play in Logic's Transport and you should be good to go... Hope this helps :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Do let me know if you run into any issues at all & because you're running Logic 8, you won't see the notes / instructions in the project. Here they are: The MPV Hub Logic Step Sequencer V.1 (built by Rounik Sethi, Apple Certified Logic Trainer & Editor, The MPV Hub). What is it & Why Did you Make it? It's a cross between the Step Sequencer in Ultrabeat and the Hyper Editor built entirely inside Logic's Environment! It features a couple of interesting randomization modes too. I decided to build a Step Sequencer to create rhythimc patterns that randomly evolve in real-time. Itâs not designed to replace either the Hyper Editor or Ultrabeat's sequencer! What Do All Those Lovely Controls do? ⢠Disable the ON buttons (far left) for rows B, C and D. These buttons obviously turn the Step Sequencer Row on or off. ⢠The white button is the pitch selector menu. Here you can choose which pitch that row will trigger. ⢠The central area of each row consists of 16 buttons. Click on a button to insert a step. ⢠The Reset button resets turns off all steps for that row. ⢠Auto Rand. will automatically randomize all steps for that row. ⢠The Man. Rand. Hit this button to manually randomize the steps on that row. ⢠Finally, there's the Output rotary knob. Use this to determine the overall velocity level for that row. This works in real-time and is very fun to play with! Thanks & Enjoy!
  • bunda
    Sorry for the delayed reply, was away for a bit. Well, in between steps 4. & 5. Logic crashes. If I understand correctly I should be pulling the cable from one window to another, yes? The output of the 'To Click & Ports' monitor object which is in the 'Rounik Steps' layer TO the Sequencer Input in the actual Clicks & Ports layer. Now, I know it should work, cause when I open your project directly with my Logic 8 it purrs like a kitten. I run the transport and the step sequencer plays immediately as intended. One difference did come to my attention: I have noticed that inside the Clicks & Ports layer in your project there is an additional monitor item labeled exactly like this: 'From Step Sequencer(s) --> Se' which is plugged into the Sequencer Input of the same layer. I then tried to create and additional monitor in my Clicks and Ports layer and connect it with the out of the 'To click & ports' monitor in the 'Rouniks Step' layer. This also resulted in a crash. It seems as though I am just to thick to figure out how to cable the 'Rouniks Step' Layer to the actual Sequencer Input. I really appreciate all your time and help so far, but do you have any clue as to what I am missing? Happy Holidays
  • Rounik Admin
    hmmm.. this is odd. Try Option (Alt) clicking on the output slot of the object at step 4/5 and choose the object to patch/connect it to instead of dragging across windows. Not sure why it's crashing... how did you bring the Step Sequencer into the Logic 9 project? Did you open it directly? :)
  • bunda
    Very odd indeed. However, I did find a workaround: I just opened your original Step Sequencer project and duplicated the tracks in the arrange a couple of times until I had as many as I needed. Then I just copied the instrument settings from the another project to the duplicated tracks. Once I did this I just imported some of the other settings from my Autoload and then saved it as my new Autoload. Everything works fine. I'm not sure what's causing it to crash. I'll get into later, but currently just wanted to put that Step Sequencer to work. Thanks for building it. It is a very powerful tool.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: