macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: stutter edit
    Nice solution Hamish! If you want to post your environment here, I'd love to take a look over the weekend if possible... :)
  • Hamish H
    will do! I'm almost finished,just need a bit more work on it tonight, then you're welcome to refine it/add an on off switch/make it awesome... you know, just the regular Rounik stuff. @xm33 Yeah, i want to go into it! I'm just a beginner in the environment, but its not too overwhelming to start by messing around with mutes and sends. Hopefully it works, we'll find out later on! H
  • Hamish H
    Hi So here is the Stutter Edit MIDI Trigger: [url]http://www.box.net/shared/26snz0a1ok9rxgj2bgdx[/url] and here's how to use it. I set the environment up on screenset 2 for easy reference. There are 4 tracks. [b]Track 1[/b] Source Audio (audio track, no output) [b]Track 2[/b] Stutter Edit (instrument track) with a Send to Bus 13 [b]Track 3[/b] MIDI Trigger (instrument track) hooked up to the Send on track 2 via the Environment. [b]Track 4[/b] Record Output (audio track) set to Bus 13 for input. Step 1: Play the source audio file and record the Stutter Edit MIDI data on track 2, as per usual. Step 2: Copy the MIDI region from track 2 and drag it onto Track 3 so the regions line up exactly. In the environment (screenset 2), the midi data on Track 3 (MIDI Trigger) is transformed into fader data, which opens and closes the Send on Track 2 (Stutter Edit). Step 3: record arm Track 4, take the playhead back to the start and press record. The Stutter Edit track will play back as normal, i.e. a mix of the original source file, then the 'stutters' when there is MIDI data. But the Send is only opened by the MIDI data on Track 3, so only the 'stutters' will make their way to Track 4 to be recorded. Hope that makes sense... I tried to get it down to just three tracks, but couldn't get it happening. Then I realised it is actually much better to use a copy of the MIDI data to trigger the send from another track. For example, maybe the Send is closing too fast and missing any Release you might have set up on Stutter Edit. Because you are using a copy of the MIDI data on a separate track, you can increase the length of the trigger MIDI to open the Send for longer without actually increasing the 'stutter'. It also gives you a bit of a safety net in either direction to make sure you get the full stutter without clipping off the start or the end by accident. Just extend the MIDI data on Track 3 in either direction. So there you go. It doesn't record live while you play, unfortunately, but all you have to do is play back what you recorded one time, and voila there it is. Let me know how it goes, and Rounik feel free to get modding! (is that a word? It should be) Cheers Hamish
  • Fafyjyo
    awesome, great. I'll test this asap. thanks :-)
  • Hamish H
    and while we're at it.... here is a version that lets you record the stutters in real time - only three tracks involved, just press record and you're away: [url]http://www.box.net/shared/kyvevomkvboqta1a20d6[/url] This doesn't give you the same control over the Send as the other version, (because you can't change the length of the MIDI data) but who knows, maybe you don't need that anyway. Let us know how it works, I wish I had Stutter Edit myself now to try it out! :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Hamish, Can't wait to get playing with it. Sounds like you've added the 'magic' already! btw, you can download a 14 day trial of Stutter from the iZotope website ;-)
  • Fafyjyo
    Hi Hamish, both are working very well. I have no time to "analyze" the environment right now, but do I have to ? :-) It's just working. This makes SE a useful tool for my needs. excellent tx z
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: