macProVideo.com
Forums
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Tracking Midi Acoustically
    I have a dilemma (but it may not be a dilemma for someone out there). I've been recording my electronic-acoustic piano into an audio track, which creates a standard wave track. However, I really want to record the piano so that I create midi notes (I figured it out), but the dilemma/question is..."how do I create the midi notes and keep the sound of my piano, without creating a wave track?" I do understand that the wave track can't be converted into midi notes (or can it?). I'm wondering if I just have the midi notes that I create re-route back into my midi in on the keyboard to trigger the sound patch (like I'd been accustomed to doing years ago. Has anyone tried this and would this be the resolve? Thanks for any assistance.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Tracking Midi Acoustically
    Hi LogicStu-JDC, It sounds like you'll enjoy using Logic 9's 'Convert to Sampler Track' feature. It's covered in the Logic 101, but in case you're not a susbscriber here's an article I wrote about it last year on The MPV Hub: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/howto-convert-sampler-track-logic-9[/url] Hope it helps R
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Thanks, Rounik. I'll try this when I get back to the studio this evening. I wasn't aware that a wave track could be converted. I interestingly thought about recording two tracks simultaneously (one wave, one midi note), but it seemed that it might not solve the issue. I think nowadays I'm a little lazier with connecting back to midi (although) I could do it...it just takes time. Thanks again for the tip, and I'll touch back. LogicStu-JDC
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Hello Rounik, Again thanks for the tip. However this really didn't give me the comprehensive separation of midi notes after conversion. I found that creating an "external" track allowed me to write midi note entries from my keyboard with proper separation. The only thing I couldn't get to happen was for the midi notes that I recorded to play back/trigger the sound patches in my keyboard. Thoughts? LS-JDC
  • Peter Schwartz
    Electronic-acoustic piano... Which one (brand and model, please). And from what you're saying, it doesn't have MIDI, is that correct? The only kind of audio-to-MIDI conversion available in Logic is for monophonic audio tracks. You can use the Audio to Score function in the sample editor for this, though if at any point in your audio recording you've played more than one note then all bets are off.
  • LogicStu-JDC
    It's an electronic piano (one of the older models, the P-200), but it's fully midi functional, w/ after touch and the works. I ran across this video that talks about the same thing with the "audio to score." http://www.5min.com/Video/How-To-Convert-Audio-to-MIDI-263061599 I thought that was pretty neat also, but the problem with it is pretty much the same as I was able to test out last night. You can make the conversion and separate midi info, but it's not granular in terms of separation for each and every individual note a keyboardist may play. I think I can work with the external tracking, but I need to make application to logic's sequencing ability (if possible) to allow the external notes tracked to re-transmit from within Logic "out to" the keyboard (or any other external midi rack module that I want the notes to trigger.
  • Peter Schwartz
    OK, so your keyboard has MIDI, thus I'm confused as to what you're trying to do (as well as your terminology). So let's try and break it down... Is it that you want to record the MIDI of your performance [i]and[/i] the audio from your keyboard simultaneously? Or is it that you want to record audio from the keyboard and then, later on, create a MIDI representation of what you played?
  • LogicStu-JDC
    My apologies...didn't mean to confuse... I found that I could record simultaneously on an audio track and the external track, one curiosity solved. However I found that recording (for example) an audio track (of course) is strictly a wave creation, and if I tried converting that into midi...the conversion through your method that you shared on yesterday, does do the job but it records my chords in chunks, and doesn't break down each individual note of the chord so that I can have control over any single note. Sometimes I may hit an "e-flat" note when I really meant to hit an "E." Having control over individual notes is really what I'm after, so that in cases like this where a note is incorrectly pressed, I can go back into the midi notes created in the track, click on the wrong note ("e-flat") and change/reposition it to play "E." The conversions from audio to midi often times create the midi notes, but they clump the notes (such as in the case with a chord) altogether, not allowing you to move a single note or selection of notes within a chord. Hope that's a little better in clarifying. LS-JDC
  • Peter Schwartz
    No problem. Just trying to get to the heart of the matter and keep the terminology straight/standard. When you're trying to convert an audio recording (what you're calling a wave) into MIDI, what are you trying to use for this? I'm asking because there is no audio-to-MIDI conversion in Logic (or any other app for Mac, afaia) that will let you do this for anything other than single note lines ("monophonic"). Once you play a chord, Logic's Audio to Score function will not be able to handle it. I'm also confused as to why you can't record just the MIDI part, fix your mistakes, then play back the MIDI into the keyboard and record its audio output into Logic on an audio track. Is it that the keyboard doesn't have a MIDI input?
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Gotcha. I'm still new to Logic and learning it's limitations, thanks for confirming this with "audio to score." Wow such a powerful tool for the developers to have missed that type of utility with conversion from audio to midi. With DP I had not problem with midi, but audio was lagging in their earlier versions. Bot sure how it is now that I have Logic. *My keyboard has all three standard midi ports, no problem there.* I can do as you've mentioned, record the midi part (but keep in mind I'm creating an "external midi" track and this is not triggering any sound in "real time" as I'm playing the keyboard. I can see the midi notes it creates, but I can't monitor the sound as it creates. I can do this through the other on-board sounds within Logic's library. LS-JDC
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: