macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Tracking Midi Acoustically
    Ah ha... so you're recording an external MIDI Instrument into Logic. Perhaps these two MPV Hub Articles will be handy then: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-midi-instruments-in-logic-part-1[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-instruments-in-logic-part-2[/url] :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    If you're able to record MIDI from the keyboard, you're listening to the keyboard as you play, yes?
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Simpler terms: In Logic I click the "+" in the arranger to create my track (selecting the "external"...not )I'm using the P-200 to transmit midi notes (and accompanying data) via midi out. It's a pro keyboard that I'm using as a controller basically with on-board sounds. Through an m-audio uno (via usb) I'm interfacing into Logic...creating the midi notes as I play. This keyboard has speakers built-in (that's why I still have it, as a monitoring source...or I can use my headphones either way). However when I hit the space bar to playback what I've recorded, the midi notes from Logic are not triggering my keyboards internal sounds...can't tell if I've configured Logic correctly. The midi assignment out of logic should be assigned to midi channel 2 going back into my keyboard via the midi in port. Midi channel 2 on my keyboard is assigened to recieve midi note info on that channel via the midi in port. [I have midi channel 1 configured to midi out of my keyboard in order to transmit the notes to record into Logic]
  • LogicStu-JDC
    yes.
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Ah!!!!!! Rounik I may have overlooked the interfacing here...great links! I'm on my way home now, so I'll make sure this is configured properly.
  • Peter Schwartz
    OK. I honestly think that you should buy my MIDI 101 tutorial, and I'm not saying that just to make a sale or take advantage of your problem. I honestly feel that you need a better understanding of how MIDI works. For now, I'll give you the proper setup... 1) you need to have both the MIDI in and MIDI out of your keyboard connected to your interface. Outputs go to inputs, always, so keyboard out to interface in. Interface out to keyboard in. 2) turn Local off in the keyboard (see page 55 of the keyboard's manual), and set the transmit and receive channels to channel 1. If you don't have separate control of transmit and receive channels, just set the unit's MIDI channel to channel 1. There's probably a page where you do this in the keyboard. 3) at this point you will be able to record MIDI and play it back, hearing the sound from the keyboard's speakers. 4) the MIDI you record can be edited, of course. Once you're happy with your track you can record the audio from the keyboard's outputs into Logic HTH, Ski
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Ski, thanks for the response. However, I am very well versed with midi, how to use it and so forth. The learning curve is simply with Logic's interfacing, this is why I'm not sure you're understanding the terms. I've been working with midi and midi equipped instruments since the mid 80's (akai professional). So the midi tutorial isn't the answer, it would bore me to tears. I'm just trying to apply the way interfacing within Logic works with the assignment tracks. My explanations are very simple.
  • Peter Schwartz
    OK then, fair enough. And no offense intended, but it's not clear to me why you're having so much trouble with this. So in the interest of getting you going, let me ask you a few questions... 1) why channel 2? 2) is local turned on or off in your keyboard? 3) why would you need to convert audio recordings into MIDI after-the-fact when you have the facility to record MIDI, perfect the part, and then record as audio later on? Since the sound isn't coming from Logic, there isn't much reason to use an external instrument. My suggestion would be to create a normal MIDI instrument in the Environment (forget about using AMS -- it's more trouble than it's worth sometimes). Assign that instrument to the port to which your keyboard is connected, give it a name ("PS200") and then assign that instrument to a track. This is a MIDI-only track on which you'd record and perfect your part. Then you'd create an audio track. Connect the audio outs of your keyboard to the input of your Mac (via built-in audio or your interface, whichever you're using) and then select those inputs on that audio channel. Put it in record and record the audio of your piece all the way down. Now you have the best of both worlds: an original MIDI track, and, the audio recording of same. BTW, when creating a MIDI instrument in the manner I described, you'd probably want to save that project as a template and recall it every time you want to start a new song. Otherwise you'll have to re-create that MIDI instrument each time you create a new project.
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Ditto, I didn't mean to sound defensive. I didn't feel it necessary to post a laundry list of experience. Recording with Logic has been very nice, I'm just tweaking as all Logic users learn to do in order to get their setups configured as they'd like. I'm not having a hard time, just have questions about a few pieces within the Logic arena. I just mentioned channel 2, it's not written in stone, I can use any of the 16, 2 just happens to be what I've configured for the midi data to trigger the piano. I've got other outboard gear that I'm using to complete various sounds in my compositions along with the sounds in Logic. I just happen to like my P-200's Acoustic piano better than what Logic offers. And I'm already connected from the keyboard's audio out's into my audio interface (Presonus) to capture the sound and track it in Logic. As far as template's I'm already there. Again I'm just simply trying to get assistance with the "External Midi" function when you create a new track. So far I've created a keyboard controller interface within the Audio Midi Setup and connected the devices. I'll simply record a simultaneous audio and midi track (where the midi notes are created as I play on the fly). From here I'd rather discard the audio track and keep the midi track, as long as I can get the keyboard to read the midi notes from Logic, thereby triggering the acoustic piano patch on my P-200....that's it. simple. I've double checked my config settings on the keyboard, local is "always" off when I transmit midi note info to my modules in order to trigger sounds/patches.
  • Peter Schwartz
    We're cool! It's just easier to get the total picture of what you're working with, and knowing that you've got other MIDI devices that you're working with helps complete my understanding of what you're trying to do. The External Instrument is a combo MIDI and audio track in the sense that it allows you to record MIDI on it while hearing audio come through on the same track. It's not my favorite way to work at all, primarily because you are subject to hearing the audio delayed vis a vis the buffer size setting; and if that setting has to be anything larger than 64 (for me) then the sound appears too late and playing feels sluggish. In other words, you have to enable software monitoring to hear audio coming through Logic when you use the External Instrument, thus you're subject to audio latency as you play. Question... what's your monitoring situation like? Do you have an external mixer that you're using to connect your other MIDI devices to? Or are you working exclusively in a software monitoring situation?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: