macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mike
    Keyboard differences with Mainstage
    I have a question that perhaps you can help me with. I should explain my set-up first: So I have a M-Audio Oxygen 61 for upper keyboard (61 un-weighted) and my very old Roland RD-150 (88 weighted) for the lower keyboard. Top keyboard connected by USB directly to the Mac. Lower keyboard does not have USB so it is connected by MIDI to my PreSonus Firestudio Mobile audio interface. I don't know how that works, but it does. Output from the Mac goes by firewire to the PreSonus and then two audio out (left and right) to direct boxes and on to the church sound board. Upper keyboard is always hard panned left and lower keyboard is always hard panned right so that the sound guy can control each keyboard (volume and effects) separately. The church does everything in mono. I'm still unhappy with the Ivory keyboard sounds and have been troubleshooting for a month. I found that if I put the identical Ivory piano patch on BOTH keyboards, they sound quite different. The M-Audio gives a tinny, de-tuned sound and the Roland gives a muted sound and poor dynamics (may be the old velocity sensors in the Roland???). I don't like either sound but I'm wondering why I would get such different sounds. I have worked with different Ivory settings and the sound guy has worked on different sound board settings but nothing sounds great - just OK. Do you have any ideas on what else to try? I'm thinking of replacing the old Roland with a new 88-weighted keyboard controller. Any suggestions?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Keyboard differences with Mainstage
    Hi Mike, Not sure how two controllers could produce such different sound when controlling the same software instrument in Mainstage... odd. Have you tried monitoring through headphones or inverting the pan for both keyboards? If your presonus has four outputs then it might be a better idea to set the output for KB1 to Output 1-2 and KB2 to Output 3-4. This would give the sound guy complete control over both keyboards...
  • Mike
    Re: Keyboard differences with Mainstage
    Presonus only has two outputs - left and right. I just bought a M-Audio Oxygen 88 to replace the very old Roland keyboard. I'm hoping this will solve the problem.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: