macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ollie
    No audio output when drag and dropping samples
    Hi everyone. I have a little problem. I'm a first time user at this forum, also I'm a newbie Logic 9 user as well... Problem: I have projects from another DAW, Studio One, which I have tried to load into Logic. My Bounces from S1 are in .wav format so I'm sure there is full compatibility between these DAWs. To start off with this worked fine, but lately the samples apparently load fine but now no audio is playing when I playback the sample in the Arrange window. Weird thing is that I can convert the region to a sampler track and now there is sound again... I've thought of now converting the specific samples to mp3, or mixing down the track samples one by one to get around the problem. But I would really like to know why the audio is silent from my loaded samples off other DAWs. I hope I've described it to you well. Thank you in advance. /Ollie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: No audio output when drag and dropping samples
    Hi Ollie, Welcome to the forums :) First thing to check is that you're dragging the audio files onto an audio track (not a Software Instrument track). Either create a new audio track (hit the "+" button at the top of the track headers in the Arrange area) or drag the audio file onto an empty area of the arrangement (not in an existing track lane). Let me know how you get on. Rounik
  • Ollie
    Hi Rounik. Thank you! I have done as you write above. I have also read your 10 Tips in the Troubleshooting 101 guide... Still no audio. In the pictures below you will see a track with the bassline and two tracks with the kicks. In one picture you can see audio out of all three tracks. In the other picture audio is only visual from the synth bass. In this specific example I can for some reason only hear the kicks in bar 4. Between bars 1-3 no audio is coming from the kicks... So, uhm, what am I doing wrong...? :) Links to pictures: files.me.com/olivermurray/v1k1es files.me.com/olivermurray/yjl0xt Thanks for your quick reply. /Ollie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ollie, Perhaps you've got volume track automation between bars 1-3? Open the Mixer window and playback the project from Bar 1. Do you see the volume fader on any of the tracks moving? Are the channel strips muted before Bar 3? If so, hit "a" on your keyboard and you'll see track automation for volume and mute. Hope it helps, Rounik
  • Ollie
    Hi Rounik. No automation. No muted tracks. Everything is double checked... Thank you for trying to help me. I can't describe the problem better than I have done, and I haven't got the knowledge either. So I guess this is just one of those bugs that I'll have to learn to live with. I'm very glad for the quick replies and I'll probably be in here next time I cry for help... Till then. All the best, Ollie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ollie, You really shouldn't be experiencing this bug - and it sounds like some HyperDraw information has been written or perhaps a connected MIDI Controller or Control Surface is sending MIDI data to Logic.... How would you feel about uploading the project here? (Though this would make it downloadable by anyone who visits this thread.) I'd recommend using box.net. Cheers Rounik
  • Ollie
    Hi Rounik. First of all, I really appreciate you going to these lengths in helping me. As I wrote I'm a newbie and while writing this found out I don't even know which Logic file to upload or indeed how. I would like to share the project for better understanding, but is probably not necessary as I explain below... Now, in the project I can't upload, I have made the same setup as when I first encountered the problem. I created a new song with an Electronic Template and added two kick samples having an individual track each. Funny thing is that everything seems to be fine now. However I can still re-create the snag when zooming in/ out, via the mouse, pointer tool and Bar ruler function. This might cause the Playhead to 'jump' out the the looped area and "mute" my kick tracks even though the mute button is off. So I did what anyone would do. I quit and opened the project again. Snag gone. Now how do you explain that? :) Don't bother mate. I can live with it. Can't take up all your time so I'll get some of your tutorials soon... Please try it yourself. I am sure, as can be, it has nothing to do with my setup etc. and it would comfort me if you can provoke the same bug... I hope it's just a computer glitch of sorts. Might even be my iMac not being powerful enough and honestly I think it's the latter... :( Thanks a million for your time and effort... :))) All the best, /Ollie
  • Ollie
    Just stumbled upon this link. By the looks of things I'm not the only one experiencing this problem and I'm none the wiser... :) http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=56234&sid=71c127a495a0ec4acffb717f5f8d8a80
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Ollie, First of all - no problem! Am happy to try and help :) OK. I tried to replicate the issue by following your steps with no real success. Well... the only time the audio regions playback was muted was when i dragged down on the playhead in the Bar Ruler (to zoom) during playback. At this point the audio output was muted and the playhead was able to move beyond the Cycle area (green looping area in the Bar Ruler). However, as soon as I released the mouse playback resumed as normal. A couple more questions: 1. What version of Logic 9 are you running - and in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode? I tried this in 9.1.5 and 32-bit mode. (You can find this from Logic Pro > About Logic Pro) 2. What version of Mac OS X are you running? (Click on the Apple menu in the top left and choose "About this Mac".) 3. There's a lot of ways to zoom in Logic. The Bar Ruler method is my least favourite due to it's inaccuracy. Hit Option(Alt) K to open the Key Commands window and in the search field type "zoom" without the speech marks. Zoom Horizontally Out Zoom Horizontally In Zoom Vertically Out Zoom Vertically In These key commands are very precise ways to zoom in Logic. Another of my faves - which one you get used to it is invaluable: Hold down Control-Option(Alt) and the mouse pointer turns into the Zoom tool. Now drag around the area you want to zoom in to and release the mouse button. To return to the previous zoom level simply click using the zoom tool. ---- OK. I wonder if using any of these zooming techniques causes the same issue. So, uploading projects... When you save a project, Logic creates a folder containing the project file and the other folders containing the associated audio files, etc. If you ever need to share the entire project, right-click on the main folder (named the same as your project) and choose "Compress xxx". now you can upload and send that compressed (zipped) file by email - as long as it doesn't exceed the size of file your email server can send. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Ollie
    Hi Rounik. I'm running Logic Pro 9.1.5 in 32-bit mode. Mac OSX version 10.5.8 Thanks for the zoom tips. They are already applied... I see what you mean when holding the mouse button down - no audio and I suspect it is here I run into my problem. Because when I release the mouse button (sometimes) the kicks are still off. This is what frustrates me... Why only the kicks? Well the problem is solved, however, by tapping space twice. Start and stop. And with my new knowledge I can totally avoid pulling the Bar ruler. Also thanks for the help with uploading. I feel stupid. Damn it's easy... Next issue, getting the zip file size under 25mb... I have stripped it down from 60mb to 32mb... Can you compress a .zip file? :) If you're really curious and want to see my project I will make the effort and upload it... I am convinced for some reason it must be my computer. I think it might be close to max. capacity... Thanks again! /Ollie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: