macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    Audio files misaligned, visually...
    Here's a new one. I'm layering sound fx together, and in a couple of cases, audio plays back at times when the waveforms say it shouldn't. It's off enough to be annoying. The second misalignment happens when I zoom in (in this case to line multiple footsteps together). At a mid-distance, everything looks and sounds fine. But when I zoom really close, one of the files is off visually quite a bit. I'm using a combination of my own recordings, some .caf Apple files and a few fx from Soundsnap. Could it be corrupt files causing this?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Audio files misaligned, visually...
    Hey Sammy, Do any of the regions have any delay values assigned (in the Region Parameters area)... or any delay induing plugins?
  • Gorynui
    There don't appear to be any delay values assigned. Funny how these things pop up when a deadline is looming...
  • Rounik Admin
    for any audio you imported into the project, did you allow Logic to draw its waveform overviews (not in faster mode)? You could also try: Options > Audio > refresh Overview(s) and (after saving the project as a different name) try deleting the fade files from the same menu... Hope this helps! R
  • Peter Schwartz
    Apple Loops are kinda notorious for (sometimes) not displaying their waveforms correctly. Maddening. If you want to be sure that WYSIWYG, bounce the loop to an AIFF or WAV file and bring it back into the arrangement. I'll betcha that its waveform won't be problematic.
  • Dydavee
    On top of what Rounik and Ski have suggested, this behaviour could also be caused by plug-in latency. Do you have any high-latency plug-ins (such as the Linear Phase EQ, AdLimiter, Multipressor, or anything with a lookahead function) on any tracks, auxes our outputs? If they are inserted on tracks only, then setting Logic's Plug-in Latency Compensation (PLC) preference to "Audio and Software Instrument Tracks" will make the audio playback in-sync with the display. If they are also inserted on auxes and/or the output channels, then setting PLC to "All" will ensure that all audio sounds in sync with the grid/click. Logic achieves this by delaying all audio mixer paths to match the most-latent path. Unfortunately, when in All mode, the display is not offset during playback to account for this delay, which causes what you hear to lag behind what you see. (You will still be able to edit to the grid, just the visuals won't match up during playback). Hope that helps. Tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Good tip Tom! :)
  • Gorynui
    Finally got around to trying these ideas, but so far, none seem to work. The Refresh Overview(s) option was greyed out, so I tried the next suggestion, first creating a newly named version of the project. When I hit Delete Fade Files, nothing visibly happens. Should all my fades and crossfades have disappeared?
  • Gorynui
    Tom: thanks for the idea, but this project has so few plug-ins, I don't think it could be the problem. So far, it only uses a couple of EQs. I hadn't even used any reverb/delay inserts yet. I had a basic compressor on the output, but after dumping that, there was no difference. I think I'll opt for the idea of bouncing each of the problem regions and seeing if the new audio is okay.
  • Dydavee
    Hi sammydave, It's not the number of plugins you use, but the type of plugins you use that cause latency. For example, Logic's regular channel eq won't cause latency, but the linear phase and match eqs will, or Logic's compressor won't cause latency, but the multipressor and adlimiter will. So you may want to double check that you're not using any of those latency-causing plugins. Also, when you delete fade files, all your fades remain intact, but the next time you press play, the audio data for the fades (which is kept in a separate file) is recalculated. Hope you get to the bottom of things soon. Tom
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: