macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    EXS24 Sampler Instrument and Samples
    Hello. I would appreciate help over underlining some basics about the EXS24. I have been using it for basic sounds and Convert To stuff.Within projects rather than for universal sound-making. But now I feel I know enough about that... I have set up a project to create different sampler instruments of my own. I've spent time recording long guitar E-Bow notes and chopping them,pitching some, looping etc.So that infinite 'padded chords' can be played.Using the velocity switching too. I love the sound (which many other people must have done at some point).It's a good feeling to do that. I am still confused about a few things. When adjusting the sample start and end points/loop points.. I just drag the sample borders and use LS and LE for the loop points below the sample. I then Save the Instrument. Every time I adjust these (by ear) I Save the Instrument. I presume this is what the manual means by ' save the sample '. I may be wrong. Do I have to use the various Sampler Edit commands too ? Or are they just an alternative ? Also...In what situation do I use the Write Sample Loop To Audio File and Update Selected Zones Information From Audio File ? I am happy with the results but I just want to use the correct method creating any future instruments. Once I have made the other instruments and Exported them to my Sampler Instruments folder.......Can I delete the project used to record the original files ? What happens to the samples once Exported? Thanks for any answers to my many questions. I do have the MPV tutorials but find this particular one a little vague in this area.Regarding saving etc. Thanks : )
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: EXS24 Sampler Instrument and Samples
    Hey Logicluvva, Wow. That's lots of Q's! Did you check out the specific EXS24 Sampler tutorial already? I'll try and answer these as best I can... I prefer to get the audio files in order before taking them into the EXS24 (getting start and end points exact) as I believe there was a bug at some point in a previous version, and it's just my workflow ;-) But basically, you could save the file in the Sample Editor. As many / most of the functions in the SE are destructive they will permanently alter your file. Here's a Hub article on some of the non-destructive ways to use Sample Editor: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/5-nondesctructive-ways-logic-pro-sample-editor[/url] Remember the Sample Editor acts as the audio editor for the EXS24. If you wished you could use a 3rd party audio editor and any changes you then save to the audio file would be reflected in the EXS24 - as the sample files begin used in the EXS24 would be altered. Write sample loop to audio file would be used if you, for example, choose a selection of the audio file and then set the selection to sample loop. Then that loop section is saved to the audio file's header info. If you happen to edit the original audio file in the Sample Editor without accessing it via the EXS24, then you should choose to update the selected zones information from the audio file. As for saving... it's a good idea to place samples and sampler instrument in the same folder here: ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments folder Hope this helps R
  • logicluvva
    Thank You Rounik..I know the questions were thrown out there for you...I'm sorry as I was working on a few things and the EXS 24 queries just built up at once. I'm sticking to cleaning up my samples, methodically making the instrument so it plays nicely. Editing start and ends with loops graphically by double clicking and opening the sample in the Editor....dragging the ends.Save the Instrument. FINE up to there. I was hoping to export the instrument and files to my own Library section Audio...Sampler Instruments. Can I delete the project after finishing with it..?..knowing that the Exs instrument and files are moved secure in the Sampler Instruments folder .Yeah ? Sounds good
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey logicluvva, No probs at all! The questions are excellent! ... it occurred to me that my EXS24 workflow has been pretty simple and minimal these days :) Yup. Definitely move them to your Home folder (which is what ~ sign denotes) and the folder path as described above :) If your samples and sampler instruments are in the correct location and you've refreshed the EXS24's library (click on the black instrument selector in EXS24 and choose "Refresh Menu") then the Sampler Insts should all display fine for you. Cheers! R
  • logicluvva
    Thanks. For these samples...I do a rough ' cut' on the original sample and leave the loop point changes on how I feel they may fit a certain track. If I play the chord and wish to alter the loop points of any of the individual audio files....I was wondering if I have to save the sample every time I make a change. Or is that just for when I change the sample start and end points ? ( I am using Logic version 9.3.1 which is a very good stability level for me ) I think the loop points seem to adjust accordingly in the header as I alter them from the opened sample editor. That's where the confusion lies. All those Edit commands versus the dragging of the points graphically. Do I save the sample as the same name each time cos that may be the problem.Or is it saved as a different name.That means I was having to bring the sample back in again and re-zone it ?? I'm obviously wrong here. I may get back about this. Thanks you again for all the help.I want to use the EXS24 a lot for these personalised sounds and so it's best to really have a ' musical' confidence over it.Before applying similar tricks to other samplers. Cheers !
  • Rounik Admin
    sorry for the delay in getting back to you... (we could call it latency too ;-) If you make changes to the audio file in the EXS24 then yes, you'll need to save the file - e.g. start and end points need to be saved in the header of the audio file itself, so saving the file ensures this info is included with the file for the EXS24 to read. To be honest, and I do like the EXS24 a lot... I'd love to see it and the Sample Editor revamped in a future version of Logic. Now that Soundtrack Pro (appears) to have been discontinued, I can only imagine that Logic's sample editor will get some healthy improvements... ... anyway, I digress... You should save the sample with the same name, unless you wish to use a copy of the sample in a different zone for other reasons... Hope this helps :) R
  • logicluvva
    Thanks. So this means that information pertaining to the loop and start point of sample gets ingrained to the sample ? For use with 3rd Party or other ? I hope it all gets smoother. This is still great. Thanks. I just save the sample in the same file name as previous. EXS24 is great on the minimal CPU hit though. So now I know I can xport Instrument and samples too !! Cheers as always. Magic
  • Rounik Admin
    yes this info should be written to the header file... so as long as the 3rd party application supports reading/writing this info that would work fine. A really, really, really excellent company that creates EXS24 integrated apps is Redmatica. I'd highly recommend checking them out. (We've one Redmatica Keymap tutorial here at macProVideo)... and their products make working in EXS24 a whole lot better in many ways! Cheers! Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Thank you for the advice. I do enjoy it from first kind of principles. Then the other stuff feels less alien. I have Kontakt 4 but I can only dive in there after the EXS24 is learned.It does look regular now. I want to sample all sorts of weirdness. String instruments. Sarangi, Sarod. etc so I may well look into that Redmatica stuff. G'nite and thanks for the ongoing help and support. For Latency.... we wait 'n' see :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: