macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Importing Layer Groups EXS24 Mk11
    I have assorted guitar sounds I tend to use a lot. So I wanted to make a Sampler Instrument. All guitar notes will be harmonics. With another 2 layers....to be triggered by velocity.In all , three Velocity-specified layers. I know how to do it...though..hmm BUT can I Import them all in at once so that EXS24 can automatically map each layer and set groups to be triggered by the velocity.So I can do Three Groups of samples laid out on the keyboard , all with specified Velocity ranges ? Or is it going to be longer way ? Plus , the naming of audio files...what's the best way ? Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Importing Layer Groups EXS24 Mk11
    Hey logicluvva, This is what I'd do... say we have 10 audio files for each intended velocity layer and 3 intended velocity layers... 1. Record the audio into Logic on 3 audio tracks. 2. Clean 'em up as desired and then split at transient points or cut them up. 3. Select all the audio regions on that track, right-click and choose: Convert > Convert to new audio file(s) 4. Name those files as appropriate - although naming the regions before hand might be better. 5. Repeat step 4 for the other audio files per track. 6. Open the EXS24 Inst Editor and choose Zone > Load Multiple Samples. Then select all the harmonics (for ex.) and import them from the start of whichever note they should be at, e.g. C1. 7. Repeat this for each set of audio files (per velocity layer) and they'll be stacked on top of each other and within their own group! 8. Once done switch to Group view and choose View > Group: Velocity Range 9. Now set the velocity range for each group. i.e. double click the Lo value and set 0 and the Hi value and set 55. The next group would then be set as Lo=56 and Hi=80, etc... of course choose the velocity value to suit you :) Looks like lots of steps... but it's quicker to do than explain :) Perhaps that's a bit of an old school method - but I find it kind easy... instead of numerically adjusting the velocity layer for the group you could visually drag the velocity layer edges in the "Show Velocity" mode. Hope that helps! Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Re: Importing Layer Groups EXS24 Mk11
    Thanks for that detailed help , Rounik. I have done most of it , like you said. I was wondering if there was a way of naming the files so that the EXS24 knows how to Group each set directly from the name of the files, so the samples all fall into their intended positions from the import onwards. Or maybe it can't ? As far as the editing went...I did get used to the looping of individual samples but I had to 'write the loop to the audio file' each time and then update the selected zone from within the EXS24. That seemed a little tedious because every time I wanted to adjust the loop I had to go through the ( slightly) laborious task of writing the loop to the audio file...saving the sample...then Update that particular zone. I had thought that a change in the Sample Editor would result in an instantaneous update of those readings within the EXS24. Or maybe I was just being dumb and expect too much. Thanks for all this cos it helps a whole lot.And it IS good to learn the process in the most basic way so each step can be checked, if need be. I am using Logic 9.1.3. I get the numbers mixed up sometimes Cheers
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: