macProVideo.com
Forums
  • edgy
    ? needing advice
    im needing some advice on direction. i have this i've been working for maybe a year now all the elment are their however i keep getting bogged down with the drum loopsâ¦. I'm using two different drum loops to carry the song and each loop is filled with character one has a jazzy loop drumming with the riding cymbal and snare ghost notes, the other has flame and straight beats. now⦠my approach has been segmenting the sound in the loop and bus, send, aux out the element separatelyâ¦kick, hats, cymbals, snare etc. and using each loop as an over head (OH) by 1 loop hard left and the same loop hard right bussed to a left/right aux. basically ive been trying to creat an OH effect from a preset loop and then break it down to the elements of the loops and track each as an individual sound/track =kick,snare, hat etc. i keep getting phasing and clashing parallel sounds. i know the right way to correct is to just let the loop drive the tune, with they do but the loops are kinda flat, they have no power no umph! and i've been trying to mix the track as if it had live drums in a studio all mic'd up. i thought i could create that effect. but I'm getting alot of ins and out from how i chopped the loop maybe I'm not balancing it right then using the loop as OH helps but i get the panning issue. basically how can i phatten up the loops into the mx and have control and keep the balance and keep it mix / sounding panned and not everything (loop) in the middle like the kick. any advise on how to approach this, also is their a video that explains in detail busing, sends, aux and grouping. i know olav touches on it but is there one that details it more thorough? thx edgy
  • Hamish H
    Re: ? needing advice
    Hey Edgy I use the same kind of loops, and did the same sort of thing - tried to separate them into their individual elements then pan them etc. It didn't really work out. It took hours of cutting and trimming each drum hit and adding fades and so on, and in the end there was nothing I did that was any better then playing the original loop as it was. So now I just leave my loops as they are, panned straight up the middle. I know a few things you can try though: 1. add some compression, how much is up to you 2. Use cut EQ on the other instruments that share the same frequency ranges as the drums. Cutting some of their frequencies will let the drums through. Focus on the transients - the frequencies of the actual drum hits. 3. Speaking of transients, you can use a transient shaper plugin to boost them instead of cutting the other instruments' EQ. Some third party plugins are specifically designed for this, Logic has the Enveloper which sort of does the same thing. I prefer to EQ the other instruments myself. 4. And by no means least, use reverb to simulate overheads. Hopefully I can explain this right - Set your drum loop channel to No Output. Set up three sends, to Aux 1, 2, and 3. Put a channel EQ on all three Auxes. Aux 1 will be for the kick only. Use the Hi Cut to cut all the frequencies above 200hz. This is now just the kick drum. Don't add any effects, but you can maybe add some compression. Aux 2 is for snare and toms. Use the Lo Cut to cut all frequencies below 200hz (so no kick!) and use the Hi Cut to cut the cymbals out. You should still hear the 'click' of the kick drum, but thats fine - it would be picked up by overheads anyway. Add a reverb plugin and add reverb to taste. Aux 3 is the cymbals. Use the lo cut to cut everything except the cymbal hits. Add another reverb plugin, and use a different setting from the one you used for the snare and toms. By different setting, I mean the cymbal reverb should be bigger/longer/wider/have more late reflections/be in a bigger room than the reverb on the snare and toms. The snare reverb should be smaller and more central in comparison. But the cymbals can bounce around all over the place. They would be the loudest though overhead mics anyway. Anyway, just experiment. You can end up with awesome sounding drums. hope that made sense - here is a great Hub article from Gary that explains how to set up the auxes. Its for a bass, but the concept is the same: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/split-band-processing-bass-in-logic-pro[/url] I agree about a tutorial about busses. I think they're great, and real easy when you get your head around them! HTH Hamish
  • edgy
    Re: ? needing advice
    thx so much i will follow through, all your pints seem more valid than the progress i have been making.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: