macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Advice on long 12 string guitar track
    Hello. My question is a basic one. When I used to record long tracks of rhythmic 12 string guitar...like any rhythm guitar I had to look for the best places to drop in and out...the pauses.On tape. But with Logic...can I either split the separate ' takes' across a few tracks and record the parts......or drop in on the same track wherever I feel ? Will I have the same issues as a tape ? Or is Logic good with just recording from wherever. I have tried take folders in the past but I'd like it to have a very live flow this time. Bare vocals etc. Thanks...it would be nice to see how this can be approached. I may beat map the full track once the strumming is recorded
  • Hamish H
    Re: Advice on long 12 string guitar track
    Hi Yes, Logic can do those things. You can loop a section and make multiple takes, then separate them into individual tracks, or take the best from each to make a composite. Or you can punch in/punch out wherever you like. I recommend checking out Logic 101: Core Logic, which (from memory) shows you how to do all these things. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9101[/url] Have fun! Hamish
  • logicluvva
    Thanks, Hamish. The song I am doing has hardly any places where I can safely punch-in. I had tested dropping-in on a single track but couldn't get the fade short enough to be undetectable by ear.I may be doing something wrong. I think I may have to try and play the whole way through a few times. Can crossfades be undetectable on a heavy - strummed track ? Should playing before a punch-in (like on tape) solve this ?
  • Hamish H
    Hi Page 452 of the manual talks about Autopunch recording - which I think will help you out: "...Logic Pro will begin recording approximately one bar before the punch-in locator. This allows the start point of the region to be adjusted later, enabling you to hear the lead-in, if desired. You can also recover the beginning of the recording if the performer slightly anticipates the autopunch area. Any such adjustments to the lead-in portion of the region do not change the position of the recording, relative to the time axis of the project... Combining Cycle and Autopunch Recording If you want to improve a difficult part of a certain passage, you can use a combination of the Cycle and Autopunch functions. Cycle mode recording allows you to practice as many times as you like before performing the final take. On each cycle pass, only events or audio that falls within the area defined by the autopunch locators is recorded. This allows you to make use of the preceding song section to get into the groove." This looks like it should help with the drop-ins. I'm not sure that you will need to use fades. Also, there is nothing wrong with playing the section through a few times - a) Logic will let you build a composite of the best parts of multiple takes b) if you can get it right in one take then your problems are solved. I strongly suggest you watch the 101 course, and take a look at the Audio punch recording section of the Logic manual. Just going back to your first post, I'm not sure if you would beat map the final result - do you mean use flex time? To tighten up your strum to fit the beat? Let us know how you get on! Hamish
  • logicluvva
    Thanks again. I am aware of the breadth of ways of doing this now so cheers. I did beatmap a track of rhythm acoustic once and it turned out great to add drums( addictive) to it. Then I played over the drum beat that had the character from the original beatmapping.It just made it more ' band-like ' and flowing. Cheers.
  • Hamish H
    Great. That sounds like a good technique, I'll remember that. H
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: