macProVideo.com
Forums
  • drusif
    logic reassurance
    hey guys, ive been struggling a bit with logic lately, still tryin to get my head round it and a couple of friends have suggested using abelton. saying its much simpler and easier to get projects finished. ive never really been interested in trying it but am considering it now. whats your opinions on it? i want to stay with logic but need some reassurance lol cheers
  • MorryNYC
    Re: logic reassurance
    Someone more knowledgable about Abelton than me will probably chime in here at some point, but I left Pro Tools for Logic and have never regretted it. There's a pretty steep learning curve to any DAW (at least there was for me), but once things start to make sense, things start to feel really good, and music and fun ensue. I'd say if you're struggling with Logic, hang in there, use this forum a lot (I've been saved from Logic despair many times here by Roukik, Ski and others), and see how it goes.
  • drusif
    yea that makes sense to me, i have put in a lot of time to learn logic now so seems unnecessary to switch, and there is plenty of support out there. think i just need to step it up a gear now
  • Rounik Admin
    Personally, seeing as I cut my digital teeth on Logic back in version 5... well, it all flows easy for me. switching to Pro Tools isn't too tricky either... but Ableton is a different beast. Now it took me a while to become comfortable in Live... but if I was mainly producing electronica then I think Ableton Live would be my preferred platform. For the kind of music I like to produce... some ambient and acoustic I find myself to be much quicker in Logic. So, while I love to recommend Logic to everyone and anyone... I would seriously consider Live for the kind of music you make drusif. It is very easy to setup and use once you know the basics (I'd highly, highly recommend the Live tutorials here at MPV - especially the Olav Basoski titles). Another benefit is you can quickly create/compose in Ableton and when you want to mix... do so in Logic. In Ableton applying MIDI effects like Arpeggiators is as easy as dragging an Arp from the Browser into the track. As you may know in Logic you need to understand some elements of the Environment in order to build an arp. Basically it's not as quick or effortless as Live in some respects. I'd say learn 'em both see which is closer to your workflow and use that one mainly. You may well come to a point when you'll need the other... I think you can pick up a copy of Live Elements for very little too... If, however, you decide to stick with Logic (yeah!) then definitely go through the tut-videos here, check out the 300ish Logic articles on The Hub and ask away here if you need any help! :)
  • GaryHiebner
    I agree with Rounik. There are some things that are just quicker and easier in Ableton. Such as using the MIDI effects and its drag and drop features. But you could always work between Logic and Ableton. Or even rewire Ableton to Logic. I find the audio editing features in Logic much better than Ableton. But each to there own. Ableton is definitely drawing quick a following from the electronic producer side. With its warp markers and interesting MIDI effects definitely makes it a draw card from electronic producers.
  • drusif
    cheers for the help guys. so ableton is a daw that runs with mac os isnt it? i dont wanna go back to pc! would like to give it ago to see how i get on with it but i have spent ages learning logics interface so seems silly not to carry on with it
  • Hamish H
    hey Drusif What exactly is it about Logic that is getting you down? maybe there is a way around it somehow. H
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Drusif, Yes, Ableton is cross-platform. It works on both Windows and Mac. You can download the trial and test it out for 30 days and seeif it works for you. http://www.ableton.com/downloads I find that Logic and Ableton are both great DAWs but in different ways. You can use each to accomplish different tasks.
  • drusif
    hamish, not really sure whats getting me down about logic. reckon im just having one of them moments, ive spent a lot of time and a bit of money on various tutorials and books etc and still not getting anywheres, . thats not to say ableton will be any easier for me its just that various friends have said they find it easier. i think i just need to man up and carry on puttin the effort in. gary, yea i saw the free trial of it. im off on holiday next week so will do it when i get back so i dont loose time on it, cheers
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: