macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kejedey
    Vocal reverb/echo - stereo or mono
    Hi guys, I'm working on a soulful house track, got a great sound on the lady vocalist with a Neumann TLM 103. Now as you know a lot of house is pretty much mono - there's little point in stereo work where dancers are nearer one speaker or another. However, I've been getting some good stuff going, using stereo echoes and stereo Redline Reverb on the vocal. Will this cause any problems down the road if most people are hearing the track in mono? Or will it give a bit of breadth to the sound? Should I mix the keys dead center? (Bass and drums will definitely be) Cheers!
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Vocal reverb/echo - stereo or mono
    You can always check how your track translates to mono. If it all sounds good then I don't see any problem. In Logic, on the output channel you can click the button next to the Bounce button. The two circles will go to one circle. This will now play out as mono. And you can check how the tracks sounds in mono. If corrections need to be done, you can lessen the panning on some of your tracks and reverb to see how they sound. You can also use Logic's Multimeter on the Output channel. Click on the Goniometer to see the stereo correlation. and also check the correlation meter at the bottom. If the Correlation meter is in the +1 region it is in phase and will translate well to mono. If it is in the -1 region, it will be out of phase.
  • Kejedey
    Thanks Gary, very helpful. I'll be mixing this soon and will do as you suggest! Cheers, Gurner
  • GaryHiebner
    Great, hope the tips help.
  • Kejedey
    Hmm, When I check the whole mix, the correlation is about +1 (I'm mixing into some mastering plugs like PSP Noble, OldTimer, Airwindows Classic Channel and PSP Xenon - to give me an idea of my final sound) - when I drop to mono on the 2 out, of course all those stereo plugs disappear! Anyway the EVP88 Rodes through PSP Nitro and redline at full mix - only comes out of one side when I solo that channel and switch to mono. The correlation goes up and down in stereo from about - 0.3 to + 0.3 Will it be OK I wonder? Cheers! Gurner
  • GaryHiebner
    Yes, you will lose the stereo mastering effects when you make the master channel mono. I would recommend not adding mastering tools to your mix. Rather bounce the audio out, and then create a new Logic project to do the mastering. Then you are dealing with only a stereo file, where you plugins on your channels won't affect the mastering channels on the master out. But back to your question, try bypass the PSP Nitro. Then mono the Master channel and see if you can hear the EVP88. If you can then the PSP Nitro is messing with the correlation on the track. If not, then try changing the pan, or EQ-ing the EVP88 differently to make it sit better with the rest of the mix.
  • redlogic
    To check your mix in mono, you can also click the [b]Mono[/b] button of a [b]Gain[/b] plug-in as the last Insert on the Stereo Out.
  • Kejedey
    I tried that with the gain, and there is an issue, in that the phased Rhodes pad, through the PSP N2O, and Redline Reverb (Large Plate, 100% wet mix) - anyway it doesn't really work in mono to be honest. Trouble it, it's central to the vibe of this track, so I'm going ahead with it as a stereo only mix. If anyone wants one, I can do a remix for mono sometime, using another sound I guess.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: