macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Latency Test
    I'm having an issue with the i/o ping test in lesson 18 of the Tom Rice Latency tutorial. Or perhaps I'm not having any issues, and everything is peachy. I have it set up as he does in the tutorial, with the i/o plugin, and I see the ping coming through on the output channel, and the settings on the plugin match the output and input that I'm using, but it keeps coming up as 0. To perform the test, I just unplugged one of my monitors and plugged it into one of the inputs in my digi 002 unit. Is that right? The preference panel gives me the round trip latency, but the ping test, at any sample rate, at any buffer size, keeps giving me a reading of 0. That seems too good to be true though. Is there something wrong with the way I've set this up?
  • MorryNYC
    Re: Latency Test
    And now I know I'm doing something wrong, because in the second test (lesson 19) I get a result of 1,630 samples! Eek. Zero in one test, 1,630 in the next...
  • MorryNYC
    Okay, forget it. Now the ping test is giving me the same result as the sample test. Not sure what happened. And, eeek! I have 1,630 samples of latency in my hardware.
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Morry, Digidesign gear is a bit all over the place with Logic. I find I have latency issues with my MBox 2 Pro (and when I had my Digi002R). But when I use Low-Latency Mode in Logic this resolves my latency issues. It seems to be a Digidesign driver issue.
  • MorryNYC
    Thanks, Gary, I always record in Low Latency mode, and I've never noticed any big latency problem. Never would have discovered this unless I was going through the tutorial on Latency here at MPV and learned how to measure it. I'm going to try recording with that much recording delay and see if I notice a difference in the accuracy of my audio. If there's any interest, I'll keep the board posted on the results. best, M
  • GaryHiebner
    Thanks Morry. Keep us posted. Low-Latency is the way to go with Digi gear. My MBox seems to work fine in Logic and Ableton, but if I use it with other software such as Quicktime and FCP it seems to have weird latency issues. Sometimes the audio takes a few seconds to come in and it is delayed. The if I pause it and play again, it is in sync. Definitely seems like a driver issue. Have you tried doing the latency test with your built-in audio card? You'll probably notice a huge difference. Will probably be much less latency than the Digi002. I'm looking at going towards some Apogee gear, as the drivers are more geared towards Apple hardware.
  • MorryNYC
    Reporting back. Well, after going through the tutorial, and making the adjustments to the recording delay, I went back in and recorded some rhythmic electric guitar, and everything was early. I went back to 0 recording delay, and recorded at 128 buffer with low latency mode (my usual modus operandi), and got much better results. So there must be some funkiness involved with that test and the digi interface. Live and learn. Yes, I'm probably eventually going to replace the digi 002 with an apogee ensemble. But that sucker's expensive. So I'll lumber on with the digi 002 for a while longer. Probably as long as it works! As Avid no longer supports it, it's probably only a matter of time until the drivers won't work with anything anymore. Then I'll have to bite the bullet and find the cash for the apogee.
  • GaryHiebner
    Well I'm glad the low latency mode is working for you. I think if you using Logic it makes sense to use something other than Digi gear. I'm also hoping to move onto Apogee soon. And finally be rid of these intermittent digi driver issues.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: