macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kejedey
    Jordan Rudess - Five finger Pattern, fingering
    Hi Guys, Can anybody tell me, when Jordan is showing a five note up and down pattern, going from major to minor through all 12 keys - is the fingering, say for the right hand - 1,2,3,4,5 and back down - in all the keys, thumbs on the black notes as they fall? Cheers! Gurner
  • Dekuruy
    Re: Jordan Rudess - Five finger Pattern, fingering
    Hey Gurner, Is it safe to assume that you're referring to Jordan's "Keyboard Wizdom" tutorial? I've seen parts of that, and I do remember him talking about various finger exercises, while demonstrating how to do them. What your asking about certainly rings a bell. But I can also tell you from being a classically trained pianist myself, the type of exercise you're describing can be very useful, and yes, your correct in the fingerings and keys for the exercise. By using your thumbs to play the black notes, you are insuring that all your fingers are deeper (further back) into the keybed, meaning that your fingers have to do more work, because there is less leverage from the length of the key itself. The further back you play a key, the harder it is to depress, therefore helping to strengthen your fingers. This positioning also forces you to curve your fingers more (keep your fingernails cut short) and keep a rounder hand, while at the same time training your fingers to stay close together, especially if you try to play these excersises legato. Lastly, but certainly not least, is the fact that playing black notes with your thumb, which you normally would avoid in single note passages, trains your thumb in the same way the other fingers are trained in this type of exercise, which is to stay rounded and relaxed. You should attempt to strike notes more towards the tip of your thumb (just under the fingernail), rather than the side of your thumb. The thumb is probably the most important finger in piano playing, as having a good thumb usually most directly correlates to having a good overall technique. I'll try to review some of the "Keyboard Wizdom" [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/jordanrudesskeyboardwizdom[/url] tut, and see if there is anything else worth emphasizing about those type of five finger exercises. Do you have that tut? It's really great for keyboard players, as well as Rudess/Dream Theater fans. Jordan is a consummate pianist, possessing a facility equal to that of a concert pianist. He also is very well versed in synthesis, and using synth and keyboard sounds to the best of his, and Dream Theaters, advantage. Love his iPad apps too! Hope this helps. Enjoy, Adam
  • Kejedey
    Hi Adam, I'm really digging what you say about the thumbs, and you have answered my question well! I don't have the Rudess tut yet, though I have watched the previews, and this was about 'Five finger Pattern' - and yes he sure burns up them keys! I am actually a bass player, percussionist and guitarist, now doing mostly jazz, deep house and reggae in my home studio. A little while ago my daughter Emily began a music 'A Level' course here in Devon, England - and I am trying to coach her in keyboards, ear training and theory. That means I'm trying to relearn some of my rusty skills! Here is another question - If I want to play the old exercise in C major, right hand, skipping over the second note, where I play up C, E, F, G, A, - down G, F, E, D, where the D becomes the first note of the next ascending section - etc up the scale finally ending, up B. D. E. F. G - down F, E, D, C - that C being one octave up from the start - so my fingering is 1,2,3,4,5,- 4,3,2, - 1, etc - My question is can I play this in all twelve keys using the same fingering - thumbs on the black keys as they fall, ascending and descending - or is there a better fingering? Cheers! Gurner
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Gurner, These old exercises you mention are Hanon exercises. There is a very comprehensive book for technical exercises, called 'Hanon - The Virtuoso Pianist'. The very first five finger exercise in that book is the one you mention, however, there are many, many more. The first one is the most universally known, and the one that most people think of when you say 'Hanon'. It certainly is useful, but the exercises in the book progressively increase in difficulty, and are designed to increase the player's technique as they progress through the book. In regards to your daughter, I must apologize, but being from the States, I'm not sure what you mean by 'A Level'. In searching, the best I could come up with is that it appears to be a fairly advanced, high school level music program, but I don't know any other details besides that. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. However, if she is fairly advanced, purchasing the entire 'Virtuoso Pianist' book will serve her well if she is serious about playing piano proficiently. And yes, for the same reasoning as was given for Jordan's 'Five Finger Pattern', it would serve her well to progress up chromatically through all the keys, using the same five finger pattern. Doing the minor keys for the Hanon is probably a bit of overkill, though. I should also mention that the exercise continues down. So, after you complete the ascending octave with B, D, E, F, G, F, E, D, you continue, without rhythmic break, descending with G, E, D, C, B, C, D, E, F, D, etc. And, it may be obvious, but I have to mention that all of these exercises are to be played with both hands. However, it never hurts to start playing any exercises like this with separate hands, to insure that every finger is playing strongly, and that the whole exercise is executed evenly, with equal volume and tone on every note. When you're sure that each hand can do this separately, then both hands can be put together - but always listen for that evenness in both hands. It may also be wise to play the first Hanon exercise in 'C' only, first, until it can be played very fluidly, in a relaxed, confident manner, before transposing up chromatically. It is much more challenging to do chromatically than the five finger exercises that Jordan demonstrates in the video. I really do recommend that video, though. He demonstrates a lot more exercises, and gives good advice on how to properly execute each one. Take care, Adam
  • Kejedey
    Hi Adam, That's very interesting about the Hanon, and I get your other points about evenness in both hands etc. Yes you're right about the A Level, this is a 2 year course to prepare for doing a 3 year degree. In this case we are talking about a late beginner on the keyboard. However this is a pop- rock and performance aimed course and Em has gone in as a singer and songwriter. Myself I would like to learn soul piano, more the way Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder would have played, but I can't find a video about that. If anyone could point me on a path to that soul accompaniment style it would be great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1w46QINlh8&feature=related Thanks again Adam for sorting my fingering for those exercises! Cheers! Gurner
  • Kejedey
    Hi Guys, It's been a while, health problems/distractions - but I eventually got the Jordan Rudess tuts, great stuff! Thanks again for the tips about Hanon - I can see being able to do it in all 12 keys eventually! Quite a workout... Cheers! Gurner
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: