macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Backwards Cycle Selection
    Hey all, I am working on a song for a client, and we're both thinking it may be a bit too long, and I wanted to send him an mp3 of what it would sound like if we cut one verse. I was dismayed when I learned just now that when you create a backwards cycle selection so you can skip a section of your song, it works amazingly well in playback, but it does not bounce. I'm a little teary right now, and very disappointed. I may need to call Dr. Lartch, who is a psychiatrist. (and I just lost probably everyone but the most die-hard Python fans on that one). Maybe something for the next Logic update? Seems that if it works in playback, it should work when you go to bounce too. Don't suppose there's any way around this? Any way to skip a section when you bounce? best, M
  • Dekuruy
    Re: Backwards Cycle Selection
    Well, I'm no Dr. Lartch, but maybe this will help. Put the play head at the beginning of your backwards cycle region and choose split region(s) by play head. Do the same at the end of cycle, then delete the unwanted section of music. If you choose 'shuffle left' before you delete, then you should have a seamless connection, just as if the backwards cycle region was in operation. Just 'save as' with a different name, and you'll then have both versions - the complete one, and the one with the unwanted section deleted - both bounce-able.
  • MorryNYC
    Thanks. A very good suggestion. But was hoping to not have to go that far unless we're really cutting it. (I know, the epitome of lazy, right?) Anyway, guess that's what it's going to have to be. Logic gods, oh please, please make backwards cycle selections work in the bounce. Amen.
  • Dekuruy
    Hey Morry, So, just in the spirit of learning as much about Logic as possible, it could be that there is a way to achieve what you initially set out to do using the backwards cycle. Maybe some of the more 'Lartchian' amongst us - ie. Rounik, or the newly appointed Forum Moderator, Gary Hiebner (congrats, Gary!), or even the venerable Steve H. himself, could shed some light on if or how this could be accomplished. I replied to the post because it just seemed like a pretty straight forward work around, but you're right in wanting to streamline the workflow as much as possible. Come to think of it, did you try a realtime bounce, after selecting bounce from the bottom of the 'Out 1-2' channel strip? Sending all tracks to a bus, and then bouncing may also be worth a shot. Sorry, not sure if those suggestions will work for you, but just something that comes to mind. Hey, Morry, hope to see you at the next NYLPUG meeting. Maybe I'll be the one to win the free subscription this time! (Yes, I was there.) You know, when Steve went up to you to tell you how to get your free subscription, I could see he was genuinely happy to hear that you were already an MPV subscriber - Steve is definitely one of the good guys in the 'business', and one of many here at MPV. Take care, Adam
  • MorryNYC
    Adam, Actually, I have to bounce in real time because I have a few Steve H-style percussion randomizers playing that won't sound if I bounce off-line. But just to cover the bases, I did bounce off-line even though I knew I'd lose those instruments, just to check and see if it would skip the appropriate section off-line, and nope, still bounced the whole file. No big deal, I was pretty sure I was actually going to have to cut the section out anyway. But in my mind it was so cool to set my locators backwards and just bounce it out without having to do all the drudgery of cutting and deleting, and making a cup of tea and looking out the window, and then being so worn out I'd have to go have a sit-down. Really, just sheer laziness on my part. Well, that and, thinking I could bounce with a backwards locators selection made and have logic skip that section for me, I foolishly promised to email an mp3 with the section removed to the guy (in Boston) I'm working for when I had a very small window of time in which to do it. Like, 2 minutes before I was heading out the door. And though the operation you describe is pretty quick in itself, I'd eaten up all the time trying the other thing. So live and learn. (Though I repeat, for Logic developers, if there are any listening in, that would be a cool feature: to be able to bounce a song with a backwards cycle selection set. Please?) And Adam, thanks for the congrats! Almost fell on the floor, as I don't usually win stuff like that. So now I'm buying Lottery tickets... Hope you get lucky next time. Though I have to confess, this is the first time I've been a subscriber. I have, however, purchased and downloaded pretty much every Logic tutorial MPV offers (all but 2, as it turns out, now that I have the subscription and am looking more carefully). I need more than one listen, so I like to have the tutorials right here so I can go through them again (and again, and again, and again). In fact, I haven't even got through all the ones I've downloaded. I keep going back because I've forgotten what I'd already learned. So I'm actually using the subscription to check out a lot of the NON-Logic oriented tutorials. I'm very grateful for Steve H, and Rounik, and Skye, and non-moderator but savvy guys like you who are so generous and willing to share their wisdom and know-how here in this forum. Thanks again. And say hello at the next NYCLUG. Nice to be able to put a face to the name. Very best wishes, Morry
  • Dekuruy
    Hey Morry, Yeah, my tutorial situation sounds very similar to yours. I keep all of mine on an external that I just take with me pretty much everywhere, so I can watch whenever I need to. There's so much material in all of them, it's impossible to remember everything without going back and reviewing. I sometimes find it hard to pinpoint the exact location of a certain tip that I remember being demonstrated, even though I use N.E.D's search function. That said, though, I've learned a ton from the vids, and there is so much more to learn! I'm really glad to hear you're using the environment for realtime randomizing, etc. It may be obvious to you, since you use it, but the environment is what sets Logic apart from any other DAW. It's such a fertile field for creativity - nothing else like it! All Logic users should be aware of all that can be done therein, and the fact that it is not so entirely difficult to use, if one sets there mind to it. The rewards are far greater than the effort put in to learn. Enjoy the day (interesting weather we're having) and do have some tea and look out your window! :-) Take care, Adam P.S. I'll certainly introduce myself at the next NYLPUG meeting. Until then, see you on the forums.
  • redlogic
    1. Set up your backwards cycle. 2. Set the Output of [b]all[/b] channel strips to an unused Bus. (Everything-- audio, software instruments, sub-groups, effects Auxes etc) 3. Set the [b]Input[/b] of a Stereo audio channel strip to the Bus from step 2. 4. Record enable the Stereo audio channel strip. 5. Hit Record.
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Guys, Thanks redlogic. Your option sounds like the best solution for getting a recorded audio piece with the backwards cycle. Lets hope the Logic developers do revisit this for the next Logic update/upgrade.
  • MorryNYC
    Yep, that would do it. Thanks. Never even occurred to me. In fact, it might even work if you already have everything going to submix busses to just change the outputs of the submixes. Maybe?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: