macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Sullyblime
    Logic + Apogee + Macbook Pro
    Currently, I have the original Apogee Duet and use Logic on a Macbook Pro. However, I'd like to upgrade to a Macbook Pro for better performance, etc, but am not sure which computer to get. What is the best version for the best price of the Macbook Pro to work with Logic? Also, will I still be able to use my Apogee Duet with that or will I have to upgrade to the Duet 2 because it has the USB cable? If I can still use the regular Duet, do I have to convert it to another cable in order to plug it in? Lastly, is the new Duet even worth purchasing? One more (sorry): If I'm recording acoustic guitar with two Rode mics in Logic, do I set it up as 2 mono tracks panned left and right for each mic or should I record both mics into one stereo track? Thanks. Thanks for your help!
  • Hamish H
    Re: Logic + Apogee + Macbook Pro
    Hi Sullyblime Take a look at the macstore for your country and check out the tech specs for each of the macbook pros. Compare processor speed, RAM, screen real estate, and how much they cost. e.g. at the moment in Australia there are 5 macbook pros available. They can all be upgraded to 8 gig of RAM so RAm isn't an issue. One of them has a 2.2 GHz processor, which I think would not be as good as getting one of the bigger ones. I'd avoid that one. Next is screen real estate. There is one macbook pro that has the biggest/fastest processor (2.8 GHz) but it also has the smallest screen - 13 inches diagonally. So you should wweigh up if you want a slightly faster processor or want to see more of Logic on screen. Or just let the price guide you. As for the Duet, every macbook pro has firewire connectivity, so you don't have to buy the duet 2. However the Duet 2 is supposed to be better than the Duet. It was designed based on the feedback Apogee got about the first Duet, and it has brand new ad/da converters built from scratch. Hope that helps Hamish
  • Sullyblime
    Excellent advice. Thank you. I had one more question that I added on later, but I'm not sure you saw. It's a little off topic from the rest. Baically, I want to know the standard method of recording with 2 mics in Logic. I'm recording acoustic guitar with 2 Rode NT5s. What's the standard way to set it up? Should I record 2 separate mono tracks at the same time or record one stereo track together? Thanks for your help.
  • Rounik Admin
    The 13" MBP is only a dual core processor. The i5 and i7 processors on the 15" and 17" are quad core. So don't go on pure speed in ghz. If your budget stretches I'd recommend a 15" both for screen real estate and quad core processor. I imagine next years 14" MBP will have a quad core too if they can fit this into the smaller size body. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Now thats good advice. Thanks Rounik, I didn't spot the dual core in the 13". and that explains the price! @sullyblime I guess you could try both ways. What are you wanting to achieve with the mics? Are you after a stereo image or do you want to use the mics to capture different tonal qualities from different parts of the guitar? i.e. are you going to make an XY stereo pair, or aim each mic at a different part of the guitar - or even a different part of the room? If you use an XY setup then you could use one stereo track to record. If you want to experiment with the mic placement I'd recommend two mono trakcs to record, in case you don't want to pan them hard left and right later on. But I'm pretty sure you can split a stereo recording back into two mono tracks so either way should be fine. Thanks for repeating your question, I did see it before but forgot to answer it! H
  • Hamish H
    oh yeah, and you should watch this: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/recording-gutiars[/url] H
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Rounik, Where did you hear about the 14" Macbook Pros? Can't wait for that. My 13" seems a bit small at times, and the 15" sometimes seems a bit bulky. 14" would be perfect.
  • Rounik Admin
    Gary, Now I understand how rumours start... Oops! It was an iPhone related typo. There's no 14" mac in production to my knowledge. ;)
  • GaryHiebner
    Haha! It's always exciting hearing Mac Rumors. Ah well. Guess its still only the 13-inch and 15-inch.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: