macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kejedey
    Latency recording vocals
    Hi guys, I record vocals into a Focusrite TwinTrak Pro, which goes into my Tascam FW-1884 firewire desk (32 bit), on SPDIF. I've just had a crazy latency issue, where the vocals were coming in early. I had to scrap the session! I fixed it in the end by trashing Logics' prefs. I believe the trouble lay in the Audio/Devices/Core Audio/Recording Delay preference being set to some random figure. I don't know how... In the mean time I've been recording Logic's metronome, and comparing the latency (quite small now) on various settings. One thing I noticed was that the I/O buffer sizes didn't work out as expected - 128 seems about best, 64 was worse, 256 about the same as 128 really. I tested with Low Latency Mode selected, and without, with and without plugins. LLM seems to help a bit, but I couldn't claim my tests were that accurate because of hand holding the headphones to the mike, not getting exactly the same volume every pass. My whole system is set to 32 bit, for compatibility with the FW1884. By the way - is there a quick way of removing all plugins from a session? So, my question is, how to get the best (lowest) latency? Does the SPDIF add any? Cheers, Gurner
  • Kejedey
    Re: Latency recording vocals
    I've read up in the manual about this, and it seems there is no 'magic bullet' for latency. With my settings: 24 bit, 44.1khz, I/O buffer size 128 - Logic says my round trip is 12.3 ms, Resulting Output latency 6.3 ms - Is this as good as it gets with software monitoring on? Does a higher sample rate help? By the way, Logic says my round trip should be 18.1 with the I/O buffer set to 256, yet in my test the latency looked to be about the same as 128. Any thoughts? Cheers, Gurner
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Gurner, I can't recommend this tutorial enough for everything about latency in Logic: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9207[/url] Hope you find it useful! Rounik
  • Kejedey
    Hi Rounik, That tut looks great, but as I don't deal with external midi etc. I'm probably sort of OK where I am? - for now... I'm kinda waiting for Logic 10 - I guess, to see if they have improved things (or not...) But anyway, I've had a great week re-visiting the David Isaac R&B mixing tut, Really inspiring stuff! When is part 2 with the lead vocal coming? Cheers! Gurner
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Gurner, Actually, MIDI and external MIDI devices are one important section of that tutorial... but certainly not the only part at all. It's relevant whether you're using built-in plugins, audio interfaces or MIDI devices. Yeah, the David Isaac R&B Mixing tut is great. Haven't seen it for a while. AFAIK there was never going to be a part 2... Might be a good time for me to re-visit this title too :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: