macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tyvaxao
    List of Logic's Effects options and how you use them
    Just sent a request to Martin and the MacProVideo crew for a tutorial or some articles on which Logic Pro built-in effects to use and when. Six distortion options, six reverbs, ten dynamics tools, six EQs...the list goes on. Some get mentioned in the tutorials, most don't. Noise gate or Silver Gate? Gold/Silver/Platinum reverb? How many of these are actually useful? I have no idea what 80 percent of them do, or when you would use them. Many of them seem redundant. It's like the designers at Apple can't bear to throw out anything, they just keep adding to the collection. Which just confuses the hell out of us poor old everyday users looking for simplicity, not complexity. [b]Then I thought, why not ask the community? [/b] So...please post a list of the built in Logic effects plugins you have used, and briefly when/why/how you used them. Here are a few to kick off: [b]Stereo delay[/b]: I use this because it's dead easy to set up and control a simple delay effect. I haven't played with Delay Designer yet. For more complex delays I fiddle (not very knowledgeably) with Ohmboyz and Uhbik-D, which I bought a while back (and probably don't need). [b]Compressor[/b]: for all standard, plain vanilla compression (as opposed to adding 'tube' warmth). [b]Stereo spread[/b]: I use this on anything that sounds too lame and mono. Can work well on bass where the bass provides the main drive and riff for the track. [b]Channel EQ[/b] and [b]Fat EQ[/b]: I now mostly use Channel EQ after one of Steve H's tutorials. I used to use Fat EQ, but I think Chasnnel EQ makes it redundant. A classic case of 'why would you keep it there?' Is there a specific use for it? Please chime in! cheers
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: List of Logic's Effects options and how you use them
    Hi ajw, Apple have kept many of the older plugins for backwards compatibility for older Logic projects. So of them for example have a sound of their own. I prefer to use the Channel EQ, but sometimes I will use the FAT EQ for a different 'colored' EQ sound. Each of the plugins use different algorithms which give off different effects. Not all the EQs or Compressors sound the same. I would say the best is to fiddle with each set of plugins (EQ's, Compressors, Delays) and find one that you find sits better in your mix. I like having all the different choices with Logics built-in effects. I find that I don't really need to jump for any 3rd party effects as the Logic ones are quite good. Heres some of my opinions on the plugins; [b]Compressor[/b]: try the different circuitry types. Take a look at this article on the what these different circuit types emulate. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/logic-pro-serial-compression-on-vocals[/url] I love Logic's [b]Channel EQ[/b]. I find it very transparent. The Analyzer also helps with getting a visual representation of the frequency spectrum of the audio file. The [b]Tape Delay[/b] is really great for some nice Dub delays sounds. Using the LFO dials you can really alter the sound on the feedback loops. Thats just from my experience on Logic's plugins. I hope some other users give there input as well. Have fun fiddling with Logic's effects.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: