macProVideo.com
Forums
  • gordonjgray
    Macros for Changing Gain in Sample Editor
    I'm trying to create a set of Macros that allow me to easily and quickly increase or decrease the gain on an audio section in the Sample Editor, such as -3dB, +3dB, -2dB, +2dB, etc. Looking for advise on which tutorial covers this, or if there isn't one, how to do it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Macros for Changing Gain in Sample Editor
    Hi gordongray, Welcome to the forums :) By 'macros' do you mean key commands/shortcuts? If you've got Soundtrack Pro then you're best best is to use STP as the audio editor: 1. open an audio region in STP via Options > Audio > Open in STP) 2. use the Process > Adjust Amplitude shortcut (Shift-Command-L) 3. Type in the value. e.g. -3 and hit Enter. Once you're done you can save the file and return to Logic and all changes should be updated. Alternatively, 1. create a new region in the Arrange for the part you wish to change the gain of (e.g. draw a Marquee selection and click in the center with the Pointer tool. 2. Now double-click that part to open the Logic's Sample Editor. 3. Use the key command Control-G to open the Gain dialog. 4. TAB to the relevant change gain field, type "3" and click on "Change". (This & the STP method is a destructive edit... so I would advise you backup your original file first!!) Alternatively, follow the steps above to split the region in the Arrange and then in the Inspector double-click the Gain parameter and enter the desired value. (This is non-destructive). Hope this helps Rounik
  • gordonjgray
    Rounik, Thanks. I have STP but prefer to stay within Logic for simplicity. The process you describe for doing this in Sample Editor is not exactly elegant, but I guess that's as far as the Logic programmers have taken this, and that's all we have. Oh well... I have the Euphonix Artist series Control and Mix surface controllers and Avid said they have a Macro I can implement to do this. They sent me instructions for how to create the Macro, which didn't work (maybe pilot error!), but hopefully I can eventually get it working correctly. Thanks! GG
  • Rounik Admin
    The STP workflow is actually incredibly easy. And it roundtrips with Logic (i.e. you open it all within Logic essentially). It's much more pleasurable to do audio editing in STP. I'd recommend you try it out and see whether it's something that would suit your workflow. Hope you get the Euphonix Control working too :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: