macProVideo.com
Forums
  • ben37
    Help with optimizing mac pro for logic
    Hi all. So my 2008 MacBook Pro can no longer come anywhere close to being to handle my logic projects. Rather than install a new drive and load it up with RAM, I've decided to use it soley as a performance machine, which it can do just fine. But as far as a studio machine goes... In the midst of trying to figure out how and what to to buy in 2012, a friend offered to give me his used 2008 Mac Pro 2.8 8-Core in exchange for guitar lessons. Sweet deal, eh? Anyway, if I take this Mac Pro, I want to be sure it will meet my needs. One of my current goals as a producer is to really expand my sample based instruments. I'd like to incorporate Omnisphere as well as some Strings like Vienna or maybe the EastWest strings. I know the primary concern here is RAM, and I figure I will need at least 16GB (the machine has 8 now). But my question is, what other concerns should I have? Is the CPU fast enough? Should I put an SSD in there? I never want to freeze tracks or see an overload error message again, I'm so sick of it! Any tips you might have for what to do with this computer to make it fast enough so that I can ensure creativity instead of frustration! Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Help with optimizing mac pro for logic
    Hi Ben, Best way to test out the new Mac Pro is to try a Logic project on it... I do think you'll find that the current model iMac and MBP will give you better performance... at least that was true as of Logic Pro 9.1.5. Difficult to know how to advise as I'm not sure how big your project is -no. of tracks, no. of plug-ins and instruments, etc... :)
  • GaryHiebner
    the 8-Core Mac Pro sounds like a good bet. Suppose it depends on how many guitar lessons you need to give your friend until you've even. Only joking. Speak up the Mac Pro with the most RAM you can. And work in Logic 64-bit mode. This will help you to access most of your RAM as opposed to the 3.4GB limit with Logic 32-bit mode. Make sure your plugins using the samples libraries are also up-to-date and are 64-bit compatible. This will allow you to get the most out of your Mac.
  • ben37
    Thanks for the replies, Rounik and Gary. Actually the guitar lessons are a labor of love anyway since it's such a good friend. I would have done it for free. Cold hard cash is wayyyyy harder to come by, so this is, by all accounts, a screaming good deal for me. I will definitely be in 64 bit. I hope to put 24 G RAM in there too, to take full advantage. All my plugins are 64 bit except Soundtoys, which is a shame because those are some of my most used plugins. Apparently they've been working on the upgrade for awhile now. The 32 bit bridge server always crashes and is just annoying! There other question that I have is should I put apple or third party RAM? I figure why not third party, no warranty to void anyway since it's a 4-year old used product. What do you think? To Rounik- I'm moving from producing commercials and voiceovers to making dance music, at the moment. That looks like 25-40 tracks for most projects, and I use multiple instances of kontact strings, razor (very cpu hungry), several less hungry synths like sylenth1, and a lot of logic internal synths, including sculpture. For drums and most samples I use Maschine. Hopefully I'll be fine processor wise!
  • GaryHiebner
    I don't see any problem with using 3rd party Apple RAM. I've used Kingston Apple RAM ([url]http://www.kingston.com[/url]) in some Mac Pro's and have had no problem.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: