macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MIDI keyboard problem
    I can't hear my MIDI Keyboard
    Hi, I can't seem to hear my MIDI keyboard through Logic Pro 9. I set up the environments and it is picking up the sound, it just isn't coming through the speakers or recording the sound. My keyboard is a Korg SP-250 and I'm running it through an M-Audio 410 interface connected to my Macbook via firewire. Like I said, the sound is being picked up because Logic is responding to it every time I hit a note on the keyboard, I just can't hear anything.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: I can't hear my MIDI Keyboard
    Hi and welcome to the forums! You don't mention if you've connected the audio outputs from the keyboard to the M-Audio and created an audio track in Logic which is record-enabled and set to the correct input. Here's a more in depth 2-part guide on setting up External MIDI instruments in Logic: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-midi-instruments-in-logic-part-1[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-instruments-in-logic-part-2[/url] Hope this helps too, Rounik
  • MIDI keyboard problem
    I've connected the MIDI output on the keyboard to the MIDI in on the M-Audio. Then the firewire into the computer. I have a track that is record-enabled but maybe the correct input isn't set. How would I go about doing that?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Please answer each of these questions so I can understand where the problem might lie... 1. Have you connected the audio outputs from the MIDI Keyboard to the M-Audio? 2. What do you mean Logic can hear the MIDI Keyboard? (MIDI is not sound - it is just a data message). Do you mean When you hit a key on the MIDI keyboard, Logic's Transport bar shows a note message had been received? 3. Have you created an Audio Track to receive the audio signal from the keyboard? If not, please do so... 4. In the Inspector area you'll see an audio channel strip on the left that corresponds to the currently selected track in the Arrange area. In the top slot under the I/O section of the channel strip you can set the audio input. Make sure it corresponds to the input you plugged the audio cables into from the MIDI Keyboard to the M-Audio. Cheers R
  • MIDI keyboard problem
    Sorry for the late response. I have a MIDI cable plugged into the output of the keyboard, into the input of the M-Audio then I ran the firewire into my computer. Logic was picking up the signal last week when I had it all plugged in but now it isn't anymore. There is an audio track for it but still no sound, and Logic isn't even picking up the signal anymore. Also, I'm not sure about the setting the audio input, I tried fiddling around with it but nothing is working.
  • MIDI keyboard problem
    I got it picking up the signals from the keyboard again.. But still no sound.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi I still don't know what you mean by "signals". Audio signals or MIDI data signals? Remember that MIDI does not transmit sound. It transmits data that can trigger a sound. If you want to record the audio from a MIDI Keyboard that has its own sound generator/instruments... then you MUST connect cables from the audio outputs of the keyboard to the M-Audio. Otherwise the actual sound won't find its way into Logic. Can you please tell me the exact name and model of the MIDI Keyboard you are using? Thanks Rounik
  • MIDI keyboard problem
    I'm not sure which one it's picking up. When I play a note on the keyboard, at the bottom of Logic, it tells me what note or chord I'm playing. The bar next to the volume controls also lights up every time I play. It's just that no sound is coming out of my speakers. So I guess it's transmitting the data, it's just not triggering any sound. I want to use the keyboard as a controller for the Logic instruments. I've plugged the output of the keyboard to the input of the M-Audio and then the M-Audio into my computer. My keyboard is a Korg SP-250.
  • GaryHiebner
    Yes, Logic is receiving MIDI data from your Korg SP 250, but not audio. You need to cable from the stereo outputs on your Korg SP 250 to the audio inputs on your M-Audio audio interface. You then need to create 2 x audio tracks in Logic, assign there inputs to Input 1 and Input 2 respectively (or depending on your audio interface configuration). This is your left and right audio channels of Korg keyboard. Record enable both audio tracks, and now you should hear sound.
  • MIDI keyboard problem
    Thanks for your help but a friend of mine came by and helped me out with the problem. It was something to do with the audio output, I didn't have it set up properly.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: